front or face, especially of a building; illusion; deceptive appearance
panegyric
accolade
facade
monologue

TOEFLŪ essay sample: knowledge from books or experience

TOEFLŪ essay: Movies that entretain or that make us think | Speaking task "reporting a problem+solutions"
TOEFL essay sample: knowledge from books or experience #1 (permalink) Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:55 am   TOEFL essay sample: knowledge from books or experience

TOEFL essay sample

Through the whole of our lives we do our best to gain the knowledge that will help us live better .. we do our best while at school, at work, or anywhere. We just try to save as much informations as possible.

There are two sources for getting knowldage, the first one is through books, the second is through experience. In another word, there is a theorical and practical ways for gaining knowledge.

The most knoledge we gain in our young age is gained from books, we go to school and study in books all the subjects we need, languages, history, geography, and general education. Also adults get a lot of knowledge through books, because they are a very useful way for saving it, a very useful way also for forwarding it, there is a proverb that says : "the best freind is you book".

The second source of knowledge wich I think is more important is experience, it gives your real life situations, and make you experiment all what you have learned in books, take for example physics and scientific experiments, it is important to witness it to understand it well, books will never be able to explain the experiment and the results better than seeing it in real life.

I totaly agree with the statement that says : "Not everything that is learned is contained in books". For an instance, while looking for a job, employers look more importantly at the experience section in your resume or your CV, then comes on the second hand you diplomas and studies, because we all know that experience gives us the best knowledge and sometimes even in a short time.

To sum up, we should always try our best to gain as much knowledge as possible from experience through facing real life situations and real people and communicate with them, know their different ways of thinking, learn from other opinions and culturs, and also not to forget the help of theorical knowledge of books, because they also will never be replaced.

TOEFL listening discussions: A conversation between two students at the library
Englishtestspyder

TOEFL essay sample: knowledge from books or experience #2 (permalink) Fri Oct 27, 2006 20:11 pm   TOEFL essay sample: knowledge from books or experience

Through the whole of our lives we do our best to gain the knowledge that will help us live better .. we do our best while at school, at work, or anywhere. We just try to save as much information(SINGULAR ONLY) as possible.

There are two sources for getting knowldage/KNOWLEDGE, the first one is through books, the second is through experience. In another word/IN OTHER WORDS, there is a/ARE theorETical and practical ways for gaining knowledge.

The most knoledge we gain in our young age/YOUTH is gained from books We go to school and study in books all the subjects we need, languages, history, geography, and general education. Also adults get a lot of knowledge through books, because they are a very useful way for saving it, a very useful way also for forwarding it, there is a proverb that says : "the best freind is youR book".

The second source of knowledge wiHch I think is more important is experience. It gives your/YOU real life situations, and makeS you experiment/EXPERIENCE all what/THAT you have learned in books. Take for example physics and scientific experiments, it is important to witness it/THEM to understand it/THEM well. Books will never be able to explain the experiment/EXPERIENCE and the results better than seeing it in real life.

I totaly agree with the statement that says : "Not everything that is learned is contained in books". For (an)instance, while looking for a job, employers look more importantly at the experience section in your resume or your CV, then NEXT comes (on the second hand) /IN SECOND PLACE youR diplomas and studies, because we all know that experience gives us the best knowledge and sometimes even in a short time.

To sum up, we should always try our best to gain as much knowledge as possible from experience through facing real life situations and MEETING real people and communicate with them, know their different ways of thinking, learn from other PEOPLE'S opinions and culturEs, and also not to forget the help of theorETical knowledge of books, because they also will never be replaced.

_________________

TOEFL Prep Tests — Increase your Score with 120 free TOEFL Vocabulary TestsTOEFL Study Guide Guaranteed to Raise TOEFL scores without weeks and months of studying — View the Free ReportTOEFL Test Package — Learn the most difficult TOEFL vocabulary words you need to pass the TOEFL with these vocabulary tests and this unique flash card systemHere is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
TOEFL essay sample: knowledge from books or experience #3 (permalink) Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:19 am   TOEFL essay sample: knowledge from books or experience

Thx Mr Alan :)
Englishtestspyder

TOEFL essay sample: knowledge from books or experience #4 (permalink) Mon Oct 30, 2006 18:46 pm   TOEFL essay sample: knowledge from books or experience

To sum up, we should always try our best to gain as much knowledge as possible from experience through facing real life situations and MEETING real people, (and) communicatING with them, knowING their different ways of thinking, learnING from other PEOPLE'S opinions and culturEs, and also not (to) forget the help of theorETical knowledge of books, because they also will never be replaced.

Hi englishtestspider, I found some mistakes with parallel structure. please check again, and correct me if I'm wrong.
I think that you should slit up your summary a little bit more. A very long sentence can lead readers to confusion to keep up with.
Purplevalleys

TOEFL essay sample: knowledge from books or experience #5 (permalink) Mon Oct 30, 2006 22:21 pm   TOEFL essay sample: knowledge from books or experience

I agree with you purplevalleys with the first gerends : facing and meeting ... because after through ===> Gerends or nouns, but not for the other verbs, because I will have to add "through" again in the begining of every gerend... that's what i think, thank you and please correct me if i'm wrong.
I totaly agree with you with the second remark, I just didn't have time, and i made a very quick conclusion, because i always respect the test conditions in my writtings : 30 minutes ...
thx again
Englishtestspyder

TOEFL essay sample: knowledge from books or experience #6 (permalink) Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:20 pm   TOEFL essay sample: knowledge from books or experience

I wish I could do this essay as fast as you in only 30 minutes .
hic :(
TomWelling

Location: Viet Nam Always in my heart

TOEFL essay sample: knowledge from books or experience #7 (permalink) Thu Nov 02, 2006 23:50 pm   TOEFL essay sample: knowledge from books or experience

I belive you can do better Tomwelling, just practice hard and try to write at least two essays a day ....
to help you organize your work try to download the the attached file called : essay simulator V3.zip in this link http://www.urch.com/forums/twe/23319-toefl-essay-simulator.html
it help's you :
- Get a random topic from a pool of 182 topics (official list from the toefl bulletin) by pressing a button.
- Countdown of 30 minutes starts running as soon as you get your random topic
- When the time is up there is an alert and the words of your essay are counted.
- On the press of another button you can see a sample essay.
If you find a problem downloading or something, write back to me ...
Englishtestspyder

ToeflŪ essay sample: Many people like to spend lots of timeTOEFLŪ essay: ban smoking from public placesTOEFLŪ essay: How to maintain a friendship on the InternetTOEFLŪ essay: The only way to reduce the amount of traffic...TOEFLŪ essay sample: meeting a person from historyTOEFLŪ essay: People attend college or university for...TOEFLŪ essay samples: Chance or WorkTOEFLŪ Essay: your approach to problem-solvingTOEFLŪ essay sample: What qualities of a friend do you lookTOEFLŪ Essay: Without capital punishment our lives are lessTOEFLŪ essay sample: Effects of the internetTOEFLŪ essay: How can you keep your health in a good...TOEFLŪ essay sample: Leaning about the past has no value?