Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

path along which a fluid flows; direction in which a particle flows; aerodynamic shape
enrichment
streamline
slander
detail
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Expression: 'off the mark'

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
What does "flush" mean in this sentence? | Meaning of 'full steam ahead'
listening exercisestell a friend
Expression: 'off the mark' #1 (permalink) Thu Oct 26, 2006 19:31 pm   Expression: 'off the mark'

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #48 "Speed", question 6

You'll have to be quick off the ......... if you want to buy one of those houses because they're selling very fast.

(a) point
(b) stage
(c) mark
(d) spot

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #48 "Speed", answer 6

You'll have to be quick off the mark if you want to buy one of those houses because they're selling very fast.

Correct answer: (c) mark

Your answer was: incorrect
You'll have to be quick off the point if you want to buy one of those houses because they're selling very fast.

I don't understand the meaning of the 'off the mark'.. Can you explain me please? Thank you very much
ranky

Expression: 'off the mark' #2 (permalink) Thu Oct 26, 2006 23:53 pm   Expression: 'off the mark'

The meaning of to be quick off the mark is fast to start or try something. In other words he must make a haste in order to buy a house :wink:
Pamela
I'm a Communicator ;-)

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Expression: 'off the mark' #3 (permalink) Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:28 am   Expression: 'off the mark'

The opposite meaning of it is "to be slow off the mark".
Ching

What does "flush" mean in this sentence? | Meaning of 'full steam ahead'
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
What is the relation between fax no. and pages?What does miserable mean?Meaning of behavioralsmell vs. scentThis test helped me improve my English!What does 'prize' mean?definiton of "on the rocks"What's the difference between clothes and cloths?On Monday morningget down vs. get depressedWhat does the idiom 'horse sense' mean?'my blood turned to ice' vs 'my blood turned to water'invented vs. developed