Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

made or done immediately; paid at once; performed randomly
including
inalienable
becoming
spot
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Expression: 'in no end of trouble'

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
How to use the possessive pronouns? | Idiom: run a tight ship
listening exercisestell a friend
Expression: 'in no end of trouble' #1 (permalink) Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:25 am   Expression: 'in no end of trouble'

English Idioms and Expressions, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #12 "No good", question 10

You'll get yourself in no end of trouble if you persist in refusing to pay those taxes.

(a) a certain amount
(b) a big amount
(c) a huge amount
(d) a special amount

English Idioms and Expressions, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #12 "No good", answer 10

You'll get yourself in a huge amount of trouble if you persist in refusing to pay those taxes.

Correct answer: (c) a huge amount

Your answer was: correct

I think I have already asked toooo many questions today. I am going to put an end to it with this one.

Well, my question is: why not no end of troubles?

Thanks a lot! haihao
Haihao
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Expression: 'in no end of trouble' #2 (permalink) Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:52 am   Expression: 'in no end of trouble'

Hi Haihao

There is a standard expression "get in trouble". The word trouble is used as an uncountable noun in this case. The word trouble tends to be used mainly as a collective noun.

The expression "no end of" means "a great deal of" / "a huge amount of". This expression was added to the standard expression "get in trouble".

I'd say trouble is used mainly as an uncountable (singular) noun than as a countable (plural) one.

Amy

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Expression: 'in no end of trouble' #3 (permalink) Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:08 am   Expression: 'in no end of trouble'

Trouble is usually a noncountable noun and when used with "no end of" we don't add an s. No end of trouble is a fixed phrase. We tend to use words like problems as countable nouns.
Canadian45
I'm here quite often ;-)

Expression: 'in no end of trouble' #4 (permalink) Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:39 am   Expression: 'in no end of trouble'

Thank you so much, Amy and Canadian45. Now I have got a clearer picture of the word as well as its usage. Your instructions also made me call to my mind that people say 'a lot of trouble' instead of 'a lot of troubles'.

Thanks again and I wish I hadn't got you two in no end of trouble with tooo many questions. (^o^)

My best regards to both of you.
haihao
Haihao
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Expression: 'in no end of trouble' #5 (permalink) Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:18 am   Expression: 'in no end of trouble'

You're welcome, Haihao.
And it's OK to have no end of questions. :D

Amy

Expression: 'in no end of trouble' #6 (permalink) Mon Oct 30, 2006 23:54 pm   Expression: 'in no end of trouble'

Haihao wrote:
... people say 'a lot of trouble' instead of 'a lot of troubles'.

And yet the plural is sometimes used:
    She has money troubles (problems/difficult situation).

Yesterday all my troubles seemed so far away ...
    His troubles are over now (misfortune).

Were you in the country at the time of the troubles (riots/disturbances)?
Conchita
Language Coach

Expression: 'in no end of trouble' #7 (permalink) Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:54 am   Expression: 'in no end of trouble'

Hi,

Just to add a bit more on the topic remember the lines spoken by the three witches at the beginning of Shakespeare's Macbeth as they forecast his future:

ALL. Double, double toil and trouble;
Fire burn, and caldron bubble

Just thought it might be appropriate for Hallowe'en!

A
Co-founder
Alan Townend

How to use the possessive pronouns? | Idiom: run a tight ship
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Idiom: hold your breathStrong collocation: 'to pose a thread'Idiom: 'saved by the bell'Idiom: ring off the hookExpression: 'have it both ways'Incredible vs. dramatically (adjective vs. adverb)Meaning of "rock the boat"Gone versus wentMeaning of 'mark out'What is the difference between "hit" and "beat"?Meaning of 'trespasser'Transitive vs. intransivite verbsExpression: she wouldn't wear it