Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

secret agent; person who secretly investigates and gathers information about other people
warning
anniversary
spy
flexibility
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Accommodate vs. accumulate

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Near vs. nearly | That' afternoon's activities
listening exercisestell a friend
Accommodate vs. accumulate #1 (permalink) Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:38 am   Accommodate vs. accumulate

Test No. errors/advan-6 "At the Conference", question 1

We left our booking for the event until the last moment and so the hotel could not accumulate all for of us.

(a) booking
(b) last moment
(c) accumulate
(d) us

Test No. errors/advan-6 "At the Conference", answer 1

We left our booking for the event until the last moment and so the hotel could not accommodate all for of us.

Correct entry: accommodate
The error was: (c) accumulate

You have found the error but your entry is incorrect.
We left our booking for the event until the last moment and so the hotel could not accumulate all for of us.

could you please explain the whole meaning of this sentence? and is it correct "for of us"?
Rich7
I'm here quite often ;-)

Accommodate #2 (permalink) Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:57 am   Accommodate

Well, the meaning of the sentence is this:

There is a group of people who want to take part in an event (a seminar, a conference, a convention, etc.) which takes place in another town so they need hotel rooms in which they can stay. Now, because they wait too long the hotel doesn't have vacant rooms for all of them. The hotel cannot accommodate (provide rooms) for all the group members.
As for the phrase for all of us - thanks for pointing out, we'll amend that.

TOEIC short conversations: Doctor's secretary calls client to remind her about appointment.
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Thanks #3 (permalink) Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:22 am   Thanks

thanks a bunch for this explanation.
:roll: :lol: :wink:
Rich7
I'm here quite often ;-)

Accept vs accomodate #4 (permalink) Tue Oct 11, 2005 21:55 pm   Accept vs accomodate

Is accept also acceptable here?
sinbadnj

Near vs. nearly | That' afternoon's activities
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Breaking glass vs. broken glassAppearing vs. apparentlyAirlines and departuresEconomical vs. economicNeither rhyme nor reason - ShakespeareFuture after whenCrybaby or cry baby?Idiom: loud and clearThey settled in a small villageMeaning of: 'Welcome back everybody in this session'I don't understand vs. I do not understandNative vs. inhabitantPhrasal verb: use up