Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

certificate; written file
paper
ambivalence
document
calendar
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Applicant vs. subscriber

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Lost her head | Prospective vs. perspective
listening exercisestell a friend
Applicant vs. subscriber #1 (permalink) Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:10 am   Applicant vs. subscriber

Test No. incompl/advan-1 "Code of Practice", question 4

Thousands of ......... are already signing up for this new telephone service.

(a) individuals
(b) subscribers
(c) applicants
(d) interviewees

Test No. incompl/advan-1 "Code of Practice", answer 4

Thousands of subscribers are already signing up for this new telephone service.

Correct answer: (b) subscribers

Your answer was: incorrect
Thousands of applicants are already signing up for this new telephone service.

Why not applicants?
Many thanks in advance.
Hassan

Applicant vs. subscriber #2 (permalink) Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:27 am   Applicant vs. subscriber

Hi Hassan,

An applicant is a person who applies for job or another position. A subscriber is a customer, a person who purchases a service or a newspaper or magazine.

TOEIC short conversations: HR person calls job candidate to invite her to next interview.
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Ambiguous #3 (permalink) Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:17 am   Ambiguous

'Thousands of individuals' is definitely a commonly used English phrase. 'Subscribers' is possibly also correct, but if they are in the process of signing up, can they be called subscribers yet?

Also, 'simple example' is just as legitimate as 'prime example', important 'code of practice' be damned. Both are commonly used English phrases. Why is a simple example not possible in relation to a set of important rules? That just doesn't make sense.
anon_anon

Query on SUBSCRIBER #4 (permalink) Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:28 am   Query on SUBSCRIBER

Your explanation and answer may be well and good BUT a SUBSCRIBER is ALSO someone who IS already SUBSCRIBING TO A SERVICE ... hence, shouldn't INDIVIDUALS also be acceptable since it mainly describes an OPEN MARKET wherein new consumers have yet to be referred to as SUBSCRIBERS?

The English language is vibrant and alive, hence, various nuances continually shatter age-old rigid standards. I think the most important aspect is that relevant meaning is properly presented. I took the test and received 8 out of 10, however, I feel that had INDIVIDUALS likewise be accepted, then it would have been 9/10.

Please enlighten.
norwin mark

Code of practice, Question 4 #5 (permalink) Thu Aug 25, 2005 19:28 pm   Code of practice, Question 4

subscriber...are signing up: seems redundant.

Whould not a subcriber have signed up in the past?

An individual signing up now, may become a subcriber with persistant renewal, or with a history of service purchsed.
cpmallet

"Individuals" vs. "Subscribers" #6 (permalink) Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:16 am   "Individuals" vs. "Subscribers"

To me a 'subscriber" is a person who has already signed up for something. In the context of this sentence "individuals" seems to make much more sense.
It's just a subjective point view.
Best regards,
Heike
Heike

Code of practice, Question 4 #7 (permalink) Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:11 pm   Code of practice, Question 4

cpmallet wrote:
subscriber...are signing up: seems redundant.

Whould not a subcriber have signed up in the past?

An individual signing up now, may become a subcriber with persistant renewal, or with a history of service purchsed.

Yea, I also think in this way.
when they have become a subscriber, why should they sign up the NEW service?
Jason

Subscribe/subscriber #8 (permalink) Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:47 pm   Subscribe/subscriber

Hi,

I'm intrigued at how much interest my test has engendered and in particular the sentence: Thousands of subscribers ... As I intended it, the people who are signing up for the new service are already subscribers and are signing up for a new service within the service they are already subscribing to. It folllows that they are not just individuals/applicants/interviewees.

In my experience if you are already a subscriber to a telephone service, you are constantly receiving information on extra facilities/services.

Can we leave it there?

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Lost her head | Prospective vs. perspective
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Idiom: a paper bag full of moneyStray vs. wanderMeaning of rangeDifference between stagger and totterDifference between believe in and trust inCow come homeHobble vs staggerWhat is the meaning of pace?Verb limp vs paceWhat does an apple of your eye mean?Meaning of strayMeaning of hands onWhat does to stray in the dark mean?