Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

ill; nauseous; feeling the need to vomit; disgusted; fed up
profuse
sick
current
trial
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

The difference between situation and circumstance

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Expressions: Open up, wait up, etc | 'Spell incorrect' versus 'Spell incorrectly'
listening exercisestell a friend
The difference between situation and circumstance #1 (permalink) Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:57 am   The difference between situation and circumstance

hello ,i am now wondering about the difference between situation and circumstance .Can anyone help me ?

The difference between situation and circumstance #2 (permalink) Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:10 am   The difference between situation and circumstance

Hi Guest

I'd say this is the difference:
A situation consists of a variety of or number of circumstances. In other words, a circumstance is one of the details of a situation.

Amy

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Circumstances vs. situation #3 (permalink) Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:22 am   Circumstances vs. situation

Both circumstances and situation can be synonyms, but have different meanings depending on usage.

'Circumstances' (plural) is the way in which something took place: what were the circumstances of his death?
Under no circumstances means 'not at all'.
In the circumstances means 'as things have turned out like this' or 'as it happens': it's a pity it's pouring down, but in the circumstances it doesn't matter so much as there is plenty to do indoors.
'Circumstances' is also the state of your finances: he is in easy circumstances; they are in tight circumstances.

'Situation' is the state of affairs: we're in rather an awkward situation; this has put him in an embarrassing situation; in the teaching situation means 'when you are teaching'; we are in a no money situation, we have no money.
Conchita
Language Coach

The difference between situation and circumstance #4 (permalink) Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:30 am   The difference between situation and circumstance

Hi

By the way, the only way I know when circumstance can be used in the singular zero-article form is to say something like

We are sons (children?) of circumstance.

= fortune or chance

The difference between situation and circumstance #5 (permalink) Mon Nov 06, 2006 14:10 pm   The difference between situation and circumstance

There is also Pomp and Circumstance, Tamara.

Expressions: Open up, wait up, etc | 'Spell incorrect' versus 'Spell incorrectly'
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Definition of 'aton'Trouble understanding a word group: Would that if I had!The phrase "Coffee without sugar"Meaning of "Mars-Venus platitudes"'Request' versus 'Request for'Expression: 'You need feel under...'Expression: 'For whatever it's worth, you were...'Expression: 'Invite you over for dinner''It' in indirect speech: 'The lady at the tourist...''A' with 'Second' and 'Last': 'As a last resort'The correct meaning and use of 'Backpackers'The cover of a revolver (specific name)The material on a match-stick