Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

replacement; person or thing that takes the place of another
division
error
necessary
substitute
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

The correct meaning and use of 'Backpackers'

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Ways to create compound words | The cover of a revolver (specific name)
listening exercisestell a friend
The correct meaning and use of 'Backpackers' #1 (permalink) Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:58 am   The correct meaning and use of 'Backpackers'

Hi

I often hear this sentence in movies, We are backpackers...

Does 'Backpackers' exactly mean the same thing as 'Tourist'?

Tom
Tom
I'm a Communicator ;-)

The correct meaning and use of 'Backpackers' #2 (permalink) Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:06 pm   The correct meaning and use of 'Backpackers'

Hi Tom

To me, a backpacker is simply a hiker.
I would not consider it to be a synonym for tourist.

Amy

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
The correct meaning and use of 'Backpackers' #3 (permalink) Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:11 pm   The correct meaning and use of 'Backpackers'

Hike= go for a long walk

So, backpack also means "go for a long walk"??

Tom
Tom
I'm a Communicator ;-)

The correct meaning and use of 'Backpackers' #4 (permalink) Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:53 pm   The correct meaning and use of 'Backpackers'

Hi Tom

Hiking is more than just "a long walk". In fact, a hike could last for more than a day. Here is a definition of "hike":
1. to walk or march a great distance, esp. through rural areas, for pleasure, exercise, military training, or the like.

When someone hikes in the mountains, for example, they might need a few things during the hike (water, food, a jacket, tools, etc.) and these things would be carried in a backpack. Thus: "backpacker".

A person who walks around a city as a tourist for a few hours doesn't need to carry a lot of things with them. They might carry their wallet and camera -- and possibly souvenirs purchased during the walk. :D

Amy

Ways to create compound words | The cover of a revolver (specific name)
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
'Request' versus 'Request for'Expression: 'You need feel under...'Expression: 'For whatever it's worth, you were...'Expressions: Open up, wait up, etc'Spell incorrect' versus 'Spell incorrectly'Expression: 'Invite you over for dinner''It' in indirect speech: 'The lady at the tourist...''A' with 'Second' and 'Last': 'As a last resort'Meaning of "lain out"The difference between situation and circumstanceMeaning of "incomplete"Variety academic awards?Meaning of "head"