replacement; person or thing that takes the place of another
division
error
necessary
substitute

The correct meaning and use of 'Backpackers'

Ways to create compound words | The cover of a revolver (specific name)
The correct meaning and use of 'Backpackers' #1 (permalink) Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:58 am   The correct meaning and use of 'Backpackers'

I often hear this sentence in movies, We are backpackers...

Does 'Backpackers' exactly mean the same thing as 'Tourist'?

The correct meaning and use of 'Backpackers' #2 (permalink) Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:06 pm   The correct meaning and use of 'Backpackers'

Hi Tom

To me, a backpacker is simply a hiker.
I would not consider it to be a synonym for tourist.

_________________

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
The correct meaning and use of 'Backpackers' #3 (permalink) Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:11 pm   The correct meaning and use of 'Backpackers'

Hike= go for a long walk

So, backpack also means "go for a long walk"??

The correct meaning and use of 'Backpackers' #4 (permalink) Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:53 pm   The correct meaning and use of 'Backpackers'

Hi Tom

Hiking is more than just "a long walk". In fact, a hike could last for more than a day. Here is a definition of "hike":
1. to walk or march a great distance, esp. through rural areas, for pleasure, exercise, military training, or the like.

When someone hikes in the mountains, for example, they might need a few things during the hike (water, food, a jacket, tools, etc.) and these things would be carried in a backpack. Thus: "backpacker".

A person who walks around a city as a tourist for a few hours doesn't need to carry a lot of things with them. They might carry their wallet and camera -- and possibly souvenirs purchased during the walk. :D

_________________

'Request' versus 'Request for'Expression: 'You need feel under...'Expression: 'For whatever it's worth, you were...'Expressions: Open up, wait up, etc'Spell incorrect' versus 'Spell incorrectly'Expression: 'Invite you over for dinner''It' in indirect speech: 'The lady at the tourist...''A' with 'Second' and 'Last': 'As a last resort'Meaning of "lain out"The difference between situation and circumstanceMeaning of "incomplete"Variety academic awards?Meaning of "head"