Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

yearly date commemorating a special event; birthday
examination
challenge
wool
anniversary
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Expression: 'Invite you over for dinner'

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Expression: 'For whatever it's worth, you were...' | Expression: 'You need feel under...'
listening exercisestell a friend
Expression: 'Invite you over for dinner' #1 (permalink) Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:15 pm   Expression: 'Invite you over for dinner'

Hi

Could you please tell me the difference between the following sentences?

1- I AM INVITING YOU OVER FOR DINNER TONIGHT.
2- I AM INVITING YOU FOR DINNER TONIGHT.

Tom
Tom
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Expression: 'Invite you over for dinner' #2 (permalink) Mon Nov 06, 2006 13:37 pm   Expression: 'Invite you over for dinner'

The difference between your two sentences is that the first suggests that I'm inviting you to come to my house. Saying 'I am inviting you for dinner tonight' doesn't specify where. The most usual preposition with 'invite' is 'to'.
Conchita
Language Coach

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
Expression: 'Invite you over for dinner' #3 (permalink) Mon Nov 06, 2006 13:44 pm   Expression: 'Invite you over for dinner'

I agree with Conchita and will even go a step further and say that "invite you over for dinner" would only be understood as "invite you to my house for dinner". It is an invitation to come to dinner at the place where the person lives (or is living).

Amy

Expression: 'For whatever it's worth, you were...' | Expression: 'You need feel under...'
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
The phrase "Coffee without sugar"Meaning of "Mars-Venus platitudes"'Request' versus 'Request for'Expressions: Open up, wait up, etc'Spell incorrect' versus 'Spell incorrectly''It' in indirect speech: 'The lady at the tourist...''A' with 'Second' and 'Last': 'As a last resort'The correct meaning and use of 'Backpackers'The cover of a revolver (specific name)Article 'a' with 'night' and 'day': It was opening nightCheck up vs. check outMeaning of "lain out"The difference between situation and circumstance