yearly date commemorating a special event; birthday
examination
challenge
wool
anniversary

Expression: 'Invite you over for dinner'

Expression: 'For whatever it's worth, you were...' | Expression: 'You need feel under...'
Expression: 'Invite you over for dinner' #1 (permalink) Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:15 pm   Expression: 'Invite you over for dinner'

Could you please tell me the difference between the following sentences?

1- I AM INVITING YOU OVER FOR DINNER TONIGHT.
2- I AM INVITING YOU FOR DINNER TONIGHT.

Expression: 'Invite you over for dinner' #2 (permalink) Mon Nov 06, 2006 13:37 pm   Expression: 'Invite you over for dinner'

The difference between your two sentences is that the first suggests that I'm inviting you to come to my house. Saying 'I am inviting you for dinner tonight' doesn't specify where. The most usual preposition with 'invite' is 'to'.

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
Expression: 'Invite you over for dinner' #3 (permalink) Mon Nov 06, 2006 13:44 pm   Expression: 'Invite you over for dinner'

.
I agree with Conchita and will even go a step further and say that "invite you over for dinner" would only be understood as "invite you to my house for dinner". It is an invitation to come to dinner at the place where the person lives (or is living).

_________________

The phrase "Coffee without sugar"Meaning of "Mars-Venus platitudes"'Request' versus 'Request for'Expressions: Open up, wait up, etc'Spell incorrect' versus 'Spell incorrectly''It' in indirect speech: 'The lady at the tourist...''A' with 'Second' and 'Last': 'As a last resort'The correct meaning and use of 'Backpackers'The cover of a revolver (specific name)Article 'a' with 'night' and 'day': It was opening nightCheck up vs. check outMeaning of "lain out"The difference between situation and circumstance