Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

group of ships, cars, trucks or other vehicles
browser
auditorium
need
fleet
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

'Couple' vs 'Couple of'

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Expression: 'Who the hell...' | By versus Until
listening exercisestell a friend
'Couple' vs 'Couple of' #1 (permalink) Wed Nov 08, 2006 21:10 pm   'Couple' vs 'Couple of'

Hi

Could you please tell me if the following sentences (information) are correct?

1- I met him a couple days ago. (informal)
2- I met him a couple of days ago. (formal)

1- He has a couple books. (informal)
2- He has a couple of books. (formal)

Tom
Tom
I'm a Communicator ;-)

'Couple' vs 'Couple of' #2 (permalink) Wed Nov 08, 2006 21:23 pm   'Couple' vs 'Couple of'

Hi Tom

To be honest, I don't really see much (if any) difference in the sense of formality, however the use of the word "of" may be seen as more "formally correct" grammatically.

I hope you understand what I mean.

Amy

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
'Couple' vs 'Couple of' #3 (permalink) Wed Nov 08, 2006 21:37 pm   'Couple' vs 'Couple of'

Thanks Amy!

Which one you (Americans) prefer, Amy?

Tom
Tom
I'm a Communicator ;-)

'Couple' vs 'Couple of' #4 (permalink) Wed Nov 08, 2006 21:44 pm   'Couple' vs 'Couple of'

Hi Tom

I think they are used interchangeably. In spoken American English "couple of" frequently sounds like "coupla".

Gimme a coupla minutes, will ya? 8)

Translation: Give me a couple of minutes, will you?

Amy

Expression: 'Who the hell...' | By versus Until
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Does "google" mean anything?The use of blow me: 'Why I even bother to write...'Saying: 'When people eat meat they do not...'In winter vs During winterTurn one leg sideways'Belong in' versus 'Belong to'Expression 'Their noses are hundred times...'Several years experience?People vs PeoplesCan I say "Image and Sound" as a fixed expression?A labour of loveMeaning of 'clear' in the expression 'Stand clear'Definition of 'aton'