group of ships, cars, trucks or other vehicles
browser
auditorium
need
fleet

'Couple' vs 'Couple of'

Expression: 'Who the hell...' | By versus Until
'Couple' vs 'Couple of' #1 (permalink) Wed Nov 08, 2006 21:10 pm   'Couple' vs 'Couple of'

Could you please tell me if the following sentences (information) are correct?

1- I met him a couple days ago. (informal)
2- I met him a couple of days ago. (formal)

1- He has a couple books. (informal)
2- He has a couple of books. (formal)

'Couple' vs 'Couple of' #2 (permalink) Wed Nov 08, 2006 21:23 pm   'Couple' vs 'Couple of'

Hi Tom

To be honest, I don't really see much (if any) difference in the sense of formality, however the use of the word "of" may be seen as more "formally correct" grammatically.

I hope you understand what I mean.

_________________

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
'Couple' vs 'Couple of' #3 (permalink) Wed Nov 08, 2006 21:37 pm   'Couple' vs 'Couple of'

Thanks Amy!

Which one you (Americans) prefer, Amy?

'Couple' vs 'Couple of' #4 (permalink) Wed Nov 08, 2006 21:44 pm   'Couple' vs 'Couple of'

Hi Tom

I think they are used interchangeably. In spoken American English "couple of" frequently sounds like "coupla".

Gimme a coupla minutes, will ya? 8)

Translation: Give me a couple of minutes, will you?

_________________

Does "google" mean anything?The use of blow me: 'Why I even bother to write...'Saying: 'When people eat meat they do not...'In winter vs During winterTurn one leg sideways'Belong in' versus 'Belong to'Expression 'Their noses are hundred times...'Several years experience?People vs PeoplesCan I say "Image and Sound" as a fixed expression?A labour of loveMeaning of 'clear' in the expression 'Stand clear'Definition of 'aton'