Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to look at; to concern; to relate to; to esteem; to appreciate; to consider
extend
regard
survive
penalize
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

What does this phrase mean: "all over"?

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Meaning of "hoarding may result" | Meaning of Demonym
listening exercisestell a friend
What does this phrase mean: "all over"? #1 (permalink) Sat Nov 11, 2006 19:33 pm   What does this phrase mean: "all over"?

"On all over the four channels it was the best film on the first".

"On all over the four channels" -is the sentence correct or is there any redundancy?
Moniker
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

On all over #2 (permalink) Sat Nov 11, 2006 19:45 pm   On all over

moniker

That sentence is not good.
I think the sentence is trying to say: Of the four channels, the best film was on the first (one).

I don't think English speakers ever say "on all over".
Canadian45
I'm here quite often ;-)

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
On all over #3 (permalink) Sat Nov 11, 2006 19:50 pm   On all over

Yes, it means that.
Could you suggest any case with "all over" word combination? If yes, what is it's meaning?
Thank you in advance
Moniker

On all over #4 (permalink) Sat Nov 11, 2006 20:17 pm   On all over

''all over" is commonly used and has two different meanings.
1..."all over" means everywhere. It's raining all over Europe. (It's raining everywhere in Europe.)
2..."all over" means again. That wasn't good; do it all over. (That wasn't good; do it again.)

There is another meaning for "all over", although all is optional.
3..."all over" means everything is finished. The exams are (all) over. (The exams are [all] finished.)

Reminds me of that great Rolling Stones song! (I used to love her but) It's All Over Now.

I just remembered a 4th meaning. I'll give you two sentences and let you find the meaning(s). The band's fans were all over them. The press was all over the coach after the unexpected loss.
Canadian45
I'm here quite often ;-)

On all over #5 (permalink) Sat Nov 11, 2006 21:42 pm   On all over

This "over" actually has too many meanings, a little bit confounding.
In the second case 'all' may be opnional too, I suppose. Just "over" may signify "again" as in case:
"Do it over!" = "Do it again!"
The fourth meaning.. I've puzzled a little.
Does it mean "The band's fans were all with them" (near, around)? and "The press has surrounded the coach after the unexpected loss"?
Moniker

On all over #6 (permalink) Sat Nov 11, 2006 23:44 pm   On all over

We are not talking about the meanings of "over"; we are talking about "all over".
"all' can be optional in #2 but it is often said.

The fourth meaning is a little different in the two sentences. In the band sentence, it means 'in eagerly affectionate, attentive or aggressive pursuit of'. (a positive thing, unless they trampled the band to death)
In the coach sentence, it means 'in a state marked by all-out criticism of'. (a negative thing)

Another example of the negative meaning is My boss jumped all over me. This means that my boss severely scolded/criticized me.
Canadian45
I'm here quite often ;-)

On all over #7 (permalink) Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:03 pm   On all over

Yes, to be sincere for the first time I've thought the same: "The fans all over them" and "the press all over him" in the meaning of: "the fans fell upon them" (excited, positively) and "the press attacked him" (with the intention of blaming and reproaching), but then I doubted due to my insecurity that this language may always harbour something unexpected for me.
Probably sometimes I should trust myself while sensing the meaning by untuition and not to go too far.
Thank you so much. You helped a lot.
Moniker

On all over #8 (permalink) Sun Nov 12, 2006 19:16 pm   On all over

You're welcome.
Canadian45
I'm here quite often ;-)

Meaning of "hoarding may result" | Meaning of Demonym
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Before long vs long beforeShort form for the name 'Harrison''Daniel’s and Nikita’s family': Possessive again…Expression 'make no mistake'Expressing opposite points of viewSmall or little possibility?What is correct in this sentence: As or When?Can I put with verb PREFER and I use it in past continues?You must not know about meWhat's past a participle?Genteel and gentleComma or not?'without (a) trace' vs 'without traces'