to overstate; to make something seem greater or more important than it really is
weight
rehearse
pioneer
exaggerate

"make" versus "build up"

Idiom: 'to mind your own business' | Those vs. these
"make" versus "build up" #1 (permalink) Sun Nov 12, 2006 14:32 pm   "make" versus "build up"

ESL/EFL Test #88 "Common English Errors (4)", question 4

After the car accident, Bob had to ......... his endurance during his rehabilitation classes.

(a) make
(b) build more
(c) build forward
(d) build up

ESL/EFL Test #88 "Common English Errors (4)", answer 4

After the car accident, Bob had to build up his endurance during his rehabilitation classes.

Correct answer: (d) build up

After the car accident, Bob had to make his endurance during his rehabilitation classes.
_________________________

Why not use "make" in this sentense ?

Toshi
Toshi

"make" versus "build up" #2 (permalink) Sun Nov 12, 2006 15:26 pm   "make" versus "build up"

Hi Toshi

The word 'endurance' is connected with the idea of strength. After a long hospitalization and/or serious injury you are weaker. You have not lost all of your strength and endurance entirely, but you have lost some of it. The rehabilitation is designed to increase (build up) your endurance again. You could also say 'build up/increase your strength'. The verb 'make' cannot be used with these nouns this way.

However, you could use 'make' with an adjective and say "make (someone) stronger".
_________________

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
"make" versus "build up" #3 (permalink) Tue Nov 14, 2006 14:34 pm   "make" versus "build up"

I concur with Yankee. "Build up" is an idiom that can also mean develop or enhance. In terms of direction, it's always forward, never backward.

With regards to make, it implies build, create and invent. As a causative, make is used to imply causing something to happen.
Ron1970

Location: Manila, Philippines

Idiom: "to call it a day"Idiom: to see eye to eyeIdiom: I've now lost the threadMeaning of incidentallyMeaning of "stick out his neck"Meaning of "portfolio" in this contextExpression: "for the sake of"Meaning of "to lay an egg"Expression 'hit the nail on the head'Become weaker vs. lose standardsWhat is the difference between "whom" and "who"?Change versus shiftBe able to inspire VERSUS be able to inspiring