to communicate in an orderly fashion; to talk
obtrude
discourse
refute
impeach

How long does it take to prepare for TOEFLŪ examination from intermediate level?

TOEFLŪ essay sample: childhood is the happiest in person's life | TOEFLŪ essay: Compare and contrast the advantages of choosing a stable career...
How long does it take to prepare for TOEFL examination from intermediate level? #1 (permalink) Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:56 am   How long does it take to prepare for TOEFL examination from intermediate level?

Hello all,

How long does it take to prepare for TOEFL examination from intermediate level?

I know that my question somehow is not true! But if I devote 2 to 3 hours a day.....practicing TOEFL tests- How long does it take?

Thanks in advance,
Nasr

TOEFL listening discussions: A conversation between a university student and an employee in the university registrar's office
M1mohammad

How long does it take to prepare for TOEFL examination from intermediate level? #2 (permalink) Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:05 am   How long does it take to prepare for TOEFL examination from intermediate level?

Hi Nasr,

Before I can answer your question it would be important to know why you want to prepare for the TOEFL and what score you want to achieve?

TOEIC listening, photographs: Working in a warehouse

TOEFL Prep Tests — Increase your Score with 120 free TOEFL Vocabulary TestsTOEFL Study Guide Guaranteed to Raise TOEFL scores without weeks and months of studying — View the Free ReportTOEFL Test Package — Learn the most difficult TOEFL vocabulary words you need to pass the TOEFL with these vocabulary tests and this unique flash card systemRead these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
How long does it take to prepare for TOEFL examination from intermediate level? #3 (permalink) Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:26 am   How long does it take to prepare for TOEFL examination from intermediate level?

Hello Torsten,
Here students can study a secondary degree in the university only if they pass a TOEFL test. Ofcourse they don't need to score highly in the exam.
Thier grasp of English should be acceptable and no more.

Hope to hear from you soon
Nasr
M1mohammad

How long does it take to prepare for TOEFL examination from intermediate level? #4 (permalink) Sat Nov 18, 2006 14:55 pm   How long does it take to prepare for TOEFL examination from intermediate level?

yep .. my English level is intermediate,too. I have 5 months to prepare for TOEFL exam. And my goal is 100 score. I am so worried. Because I think that my English skills are not good enough to achieve that score. What I should do now? My speaking and writing skill are very bad. I did the sampler TOEFL iBT test on the Barron's book. And my score was only 39. Can u give me some advice? Thanks for all.
Alex Anna

How long does it take to prepare for TOEFL examination from intermediate level? #5 (permalink) Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:53 am   How long does it take to prepare for TOEFL examination from intermediate level?

Hi Alex Anna, what subjects are in interested in? Also, why do you want to take the TOEFL? You probably want to study at university? The key to improving your English is to find things you really like. Learning should be fun. You have to enjoy the learning process and raise your level of self-confidence. So, if you tell me more about yourself we can create an individual training program for you.

TOEIC listening, photographs: A building site

How long does it take to prepare for TOEFL examination from intermediate level? #6 (permalink) Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:12 am   How long does it take to prepare for TOEFL examination from intermediate level?

Thanks Torsten for your reply ..
I have just graduated from the university. And I want to take the TOEFL because I want to apply for a American university. My field is Animal Science. And if I want to apply for the master degree I have to have 600 TOEFL score. I really like learning English. But I dont know what I should do to achieve that score in 3 months. Please, give me some advices. At this time, I do the tests in enlish-test.net everyday. I watch the TV shows One Tree Hill for 2 hours a day. And I try to learn 8 new words/day. I also learn the book How prepare the TOEFL -Barron's. Before I go to bed,I listen to English conversation on CD. Thats all. But I dont think thats enough for the TOEFL exam.
Thanks Torsten for all. Please reply me soon.
Regards
AA
Alex Anna

How long does it take to prepare for TOEFL examination from intermediate level? #7 (permalink) Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:37 am   How long does it take to prepare for TOEFL examination from intermediate level?

Hi Alex Anna, your English is pretty good, I don't think I would be able to achieve your level if I had to learn Vietnamese. Could you please tell me what your current TOEFL score is? Have you tried to take a TOEFL mock exam? Also, do you have any books on Animal Science? Go to your local library and see what they have to offer. Start reading English texts about your favourite subject.

TOEIC listening, photographs: Building in progress

How long does it take to prepare for TOEFL examination from intermediate level? #8 (permalink) Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:21 am   How long does it take to prepare for TOEFL examination from intermediate level?

Thanks Torsten. You make me more confident. I did a model test in the Barron's TOEFL books last month. And I only have 39 Score.(thats I scored myself). Should I take a model TOEFL test everyweek to test myself? When I practice the excercises in Barron's TOEFL book such as Paraphrase, Summarizing...I don's have enough vocabulary to do them correctly.
You said me that I should start reading English texts. But when I read texts, Should I look up all the new words I don't know or I skip them and read to find the main ideas?
What should I do to improve my speaking and writing skill?
I will have one more months to prepare my TOEFL exam. So I have 4 months left. I have to take the TOEFL exam in April.
Your advices are so helpful with me. Thanks for all this.
Regards
AA
Alex Anna

How long does it take to prepare for TOEFL examination from intermediate level? #9 (permalink) Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:36 am   How long does it take to prepare for TOEFL examination from intermediate level?

:(( hix .. Torsten.. Im waiting for your reply .. :(( ..please .. :(
Alex Anna

How long does it take to prepare for TOEFL examination from intermediate level? #10 (permalink) Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:14 am   How long does it take to prepare for TOEFL examination from intermediate level?

Hi AA, sorry it took me so long to respond to your question. Don't worry about the TOEFL, concentrate on learning more about the subjects you are interested in. TOEFL prep books are fine but you have to keep a balance between 'TOEFL preparation activities' and 'studying your subject activities'. This means, improving your English should only be a 'by-product' of your learning process rather than the main purpose. Think about it: You need to take the TOEFL because you want to study a certain subject at university. That subject is NOT English, it's something else. So, instead of trying to increase your TOEFL score, concentrate your efforts on increasing your knowledge in the areas you want to study at university. This approach will automatically result in a higher TOEFL score. Try it out, it works. Also, please spend some time reading through the following discussions:

How to improve my English?
http://www.english-test.net/forum/ftopic10072.html

How to increase my vocabulary?
http://www.english-test.net/forum/ftopic14083.html

How can I improve my writing skills?
http://www.english-test.net/forum/ftopic3232.html

Let me know what you think.
PS: Please note that 'advice' is uncountable.

TOEIC listening, photographs: A girl with boxes

How long does it take to prepare for TOEFL examination from intermediate level? #11 (permalink) Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:12 am   How long does it take to prepare for TOEFL examination from intermediate level?

Thanks Torsten for your advice :). I will try my best to practice English with your 30 mins class. Now I am travelling to Singapore. So I have more opportunities to speak and use English.
Alex Anna

TOEFLŪ essay: People listen to music for different reasons and at different timesTOEFLŪ essay samples: An automobile manufacturer is considering your community...TOEFLŪ essay samples: Parents are the best teachersToeflŪ essay samples: Every generation of people is different in important waysTOEFLŪ essay sample: You have received a gift of money...How to prepare for speaking and listening section on IBT ToeflŪ test?ToeflŪ essay samples: What are the characteristics of a good leader?Got my TOEFLŪ score...TOEFLŪ essay: People attend college or university for many different reasonsTOEFLŪ essay: What makes great art or literature?ToeflŪ essay: What are the characteristics of a good leader?Starting sentence for an essay about "curriculum development"I want a good way to get high score in TOEFLŪ reading section