difficult situation; something which tests one's ability to handle difficult tasks
modification
involvement
challenge
invoice

What book help improve your English?

Just like Google Reader! | Smugness
What book help improve your English? #1 (permalink) Sat Dec 27, 2003 12:41 pm   What book help improve your English?

Hello all. Very interesting forum.
Students what english books did u read? what did u like? what is your favourite author? What authors could you suggest to read?
Moderators what books could you suggest to read for foreign students?
Ruslan

Location: Kazakstan

Books #2 (permalink) Sun Dec 28, 2003 15:28 pm   Books

Hello Ruslan. One of my favourite writers is M. Zoshenko . I started to read his stories a few years ago. His stories were revelation for me.
I love to read books of N. Gogol too. My favourite book of N.Gogol
is "Dead souls". This book I can read and re-read again and again. What do you like to read? How do you learn English? Do you learn official language of your country?
Tell us , please
Olya :)
Sometimes I read stories written by O Genry. I think, but I am not sure, it helps me to learn English. :shock:
Olya

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Books? #3 (permalink) Mon Dec 29, 2003 8:36 am   Books?

Hi Ruslan and Olya, do you read books in English? I sometimes read simple stories in English. It's good when a book is interesting. You want to read and understand what's going on in the story. Real books are much better than English course books with exercises. What do you think?
_________________
A smile will open doors ;-)
Andreana

Location: Argentina

Books? #4 (permalink) Mon Dec 29, 2003 10:15 am   Books?

Hello Andreana, you are right. Real books are much better than English course books with exercises. But I must say I couldn't read stories in English at all several months ago. I understood nothing. I started to learn grammar of English. It helped me very much. I can share my experience of learning Hebrew. First I learnt grammar. After it I began to understand something. In my opinion ( it is only my opinion) grammar - it is the skeleton of language, and words are its muscles. I must confess I still have very weak skeleton and very very weak muscles. I tell about adult learners (children are something different} :shock:
Olya
Olya

Books #5 (permalink) Tue Dec 30, 2003 9:05 am   Books

Ruslan wrote:
Hello all. Very interesting forum.

Hi, Ruslan. I am sorry. I didn't understand your question rightly. :( M. Zoshenko and N. Gogol are my favorite writers. But they are russian writers. I read their books in Russian. Stories of O. Genry I read in English.
By the way, my friend decided to learn English( It was many years ago, in the USSR) The reason for his learning English was very simple. He could buy his favorite books( it were fantastic books) only in English. He learnt English, using only grammar books. Now he has many English books and reads these books freely.
I regret very much that I could buy all my favorite books in Russian.
Olya :)
Olya

Books? #6 (permalink) Fri Jan 02, 2004 9:00 am   Books?

Hello Andreana, you are right. Real books are much better than English course books with exercises. But I must say I couldn't read stories in English at all several months ago. I understood nothing. I started to learn grammer of English. It helped me very much. I can share my experience of learning Hebrew. First I learnt grammar. After it I began to understand something. In my opinion (it is only my opinion) grammar - it is the skeleton of language, and words are its muscles. I must confess I still have very weak skeleton and very very weak muscles. I tell about adult learners (children are something different} :shock:
Olya

I do not agree with this. I would say the words (vorcabulary) are the skeleton of a language. I cannot understand anything if I do not know a few words and the second thing is the grammer. There are many people who understand me with little mistakes in using the language with the right grammer, but I know the words. So I would say the grammer are the muscles. The muscles makes the skeleton run, don't they?

Best regards
Teufelchen53

Location: Bonn, Germany

Books? #7 (permalink) Fri Jan 02, 2004 17:01 pm   Books?

I do not agree with this. I would say the words (vorcabulary) are the skeleton of a language. I cannot understand anything if I do not know a few words and the second thing is the grammar. There are many people who understand me with little mistakes in using the language with the right grammar, but I know the words. So I would say the grammar are the muscles. The muscles makes the skeleton run, don't they?

Best regards

Hello teufelchen53 .Each of us has his own opinion. I told about learning English. I can say : my experience isn't rich. We all are very different learners and our thoughts of learning English are totally different too.
You passed very important test. My congratulations.
Olya
Olya

What book help improve your English? #8 (permalink) Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:13 pm   What book help improve your English?

To learn English i would like to suggest few of books like english grammar in use, new cutting edge intermediate
As it may create several of benefits to you at any level
Nehalmayur

Just like Google Reader! | Smugness
What is the structure of this sentence?Bono is really Ginger and "Edge" is really JapaneseEuropean tourists prefer Germany over France,Italy and AustriaHi! ever yone,Hi every one,Ever went hungry - Welcome to Manchesterdo you want to speak english with me?Anonymous' Hacker Group Teaches Shady Cyber-Security Companies a LessonGet StuffedTop ex-oilfield executive says Gulf op a depopulation event. 100,000 now sickCannabinoids Kill Cancer and Our Government Has Known for 36 YearsOMG what now? - A 3D Phone?fellow Premier League club