process of making neat and attractive
factory
crate
handbook
grooming

The place of though in the sentence

Complex sentence | What is correct here: has or have?
The place of though in the sentence #1 (permalink) Thu Nov 16, 2006 14:12 pm   The place of though in the sentence

Hi All,

Is that correct?

For the time being though you should use the old user name.

Can I use the word though at the beginning of the sentence as well?

e.g.

Though, this is another issue or
This is another issue, though
Attila

The place of though in the sentence #2 (permalink) Thu Nov 16, 2006 14:16 pm   The place of though in the sentence

If you start with 'though', there is no need to follow it with a comma. The meaning in both sentences remains the same.

_________________

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
The place of though in the sentence #3 (permalink) Thu Nov 16, 2006 14:47 pm   The place of though in the sentence

I would tend to understand 'though' as having the same meaning as 'although' if it is used at the beginning of a sentence.

If 'though' is used in mid-sentence (as in your first example) or at the end of a clause or sentence, then I would understand it to mean 'however'. In both of these cases, the word 'though' should be separated with commas:

For the time being, though, you should use the old user name.

Maybe I'm being nitpicky,:wink: but to me the placement of 'though' in a sentence makes a difference in the meaning.

_________________

The place of though in the sentence #4 (permalink) Thu Nov 16, 2006 15:04 pm   The place of though in the sentence

Interesting point. But I think the use of 'although' is the nub, if you like. Agreed 'though' has the sense of 'however' but I don't think its position changes the meaning, though. Though I don't think it changes the meaning.

_________________

Proven vs. ProvedTense question: Using the verb 'to have'Meaning of "lighten"Everything you own to the left?A game's nameIs 'on the morning' OK?Which one is correct?When and where?I haven't ever been there before VERSUS I have never been there beforeHelp for "help"Suggestion for a sentence'To take a toll ON smb', 'to take a toll OF smth'?'As him of me' versus 'Ask him for me'