Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to work; to act; to operate; to perform
appropriate
assess
function
recognize
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Idiom: not have a leg to stand on

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
intense looks vs. dirty looks? | Balance her checkbook correct?
listening exercisestell a friend
Idiom: not have a leg to stand on #1 (permalink) Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:32 am   Idiom: not have a leg to stand on

Business Idiom in English, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #138 "Ways of disagreeing", question 10

You might as well admit it! You haven't a ......... to stand on.

(a) foot
(b) arm
(c) hand
(d) leg

Business Idiom in English, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #138 "Ways of disagreeing", answer 10

You might as well admit it! You haven't a leg to stand on.

Correct answer: (d) leg

Your answer was: incorrect
You might as well admit it! You haven't a foot to stand on.

please explain me why it's foot and not leg here.

thanks in advance
Toma
Toma

Not have a leg to stand on #2 (permalink) Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:06 pm   Not have a leg to stand on

The standard idiom is: not have a leg to stand on, meaning 'to have no chance of success', 'to have no justification'.
Conchita
Language Coach

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Idiom: not have a leg to stand on #3 (permalink) Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:24 am   Idiom: not have a leg to stand on

Could you please explain why only LEG is correct word, that is, why it is wrong to say ''have no foot'' as a synonim. If "to have no leg" means ''to have no chance of success'', ''to have no justification'', the word "leg" should be uderstood, then, as a reason. But "foot" can act as a reason, too.
I uderstand this is an idiom. I just do not FEEL the difference between LEG and FOOT, which causes the right form of the idiom.
Thank you in advance.
Lenakul
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Idiom: not have a leg to stand on #4 (permalink) Thu Sep 18, 2008 13:55 pm   Idiom: not have a leg to stand on

Hi,

The common expression is usually' not have a leg to stand on'. It's idiomatic and therefore can't usually be defined logically.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Idiom: not have a leg to stand on #5 (permalink) Thu Sep 18, 2008 14:30 pm   Idiom: not have a leg to stand on

Hi Alan,
Thanks for your reply. I incline to conclusion that only native speaker can really feel the difference at once. This is kind of habit, I suppose.
Lenakul

Idiom: not have a leg to stand on #6 (permalink) Thu Sep 18, 2008 15:02 pm   Idiom: not have a leg to stand on

Hello Lena,

As Alan said, it's really difficult to explain idioms, you just have to accept them.

The only possible clarification I could add, is that since the idea is a lack of support, or something missing, i.e. that you can't stand, or your argument can't stand up.

In a literal sense, if you were missing your leg, it would be harder to stand upright, than if you're just missing your foot! So, that sense of being more difficult transfers over to the idea of an argument, excuse, reason, or whatever not standing up (to be successful, or pass close observation). It will soon fall down or collapse. Just like you if you're missing your entire leg, whereas if you're just missing a foot, you may have trouble walking, but you're probably not going to fall over.

Think of all the old pirates with a wooden leg. They didn't have a foot, but they could still stand upright and move around. However, when the hero chops off their wooden leg, they fall over.
Skrej
I'm here quite often ;-)

Idiom: not have a leg to stand on #7 (permalink) Thu Sep 18, 2008 15:39 pm   Idiom: not have a leg to stand on

Hello Skrej,

Thank you so much. Now I clearly uderstand. That is very important for me because I am very interested in words' and phrases' logic. I am convinced there is no knowledge withiut feeleng of language. Exploring idioms seems to be one of the most helpful ways of making language sense acuter.
Your reply cheered me up, too, because I knew there MUST be some logic.
By the way, the image of old pirate was very apt. Thank you!
Lenakul

intense looks vs. dirty looks? | Balance her checkbook correct?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Usage of sinceAre all these idioms originally from Shakespeare?come about vs come acrossdefinition for economicsUsage of sensibleMoney burns a hole in his pockets? What kind of idiom is this?What exactly is a bank statement?What's the difference between criticised and claimed?What does 'love is blind' mean?What does 'touch-ups' mean?What does 'to think on his feet' mean?What does this sentence mean: That's about the kind of it?whats the difference between do afters and do overs?