Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

study of the statistical characteristics of a population
unit
affiliation
demographics
measure
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Give up vs. Give in

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Use of 'Old school tie' | I didn't say anything vs I didn't say nothing
listening exercisestell a friend
Give up vs. Give in #1 (permalink) Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:43 am   Give up vs. Give in

Hi,

When 'give in' = 'give up' = approx. 'yield',
is there any (however slight or subtle) difference between the two?

And, can I make such a picture as below for my understanding?

1. give in = give myself/my ability in to the realm beyond my reach
2. give up = give myself/my ability up to sb./sth. beyond my reach

Thank you.
haihao
Haihao
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Give up vs. Give in #2 (permalink) Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:55 am   Give up vs. Give in

Hi,

Give in has the sense of surrender or as you say yield and is usually used without an object, in which case it becomes give into. An example: After a considerable period of questioning by the police the accused gave in and admitted that he had committed the murder.

Give up suggests no longer doing something/stop doing something as in: The accused gave up claiming that he had been in another place when the murder took place.

A
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Give up vs. Give in #3 (permalink) Tue Nov 21, 2006 17:10 pm   Give up vs. Give in

Hi ... Alan's explanation is a pretty good rule of thumb although not without exceptions.

'Give up' can convey surrender, or yielding...As in:

"He gave up the ghost" (ie: yielded to a fatal condition and died).

"I give up" = "I surrender"
Pond969
You can meet me at english-test.net

Give up vs. Give in #4 (permalink) Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:43 am   Give up vs. Give in

Hi,

So, when give up conveys surrender can I look on it as a synonym of give in? Or even so there is some difference? Sorry for the hair-spliting.

haihao
Haihao
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Give up vs. Give in #5 (permalink) Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:11 am   Give up vs. Give in

Haihao .... There are subtle shades of difference and I wish I could construct a hard and fast 'rule' for you to use, but I can't think of one. This seems to be a case where you just have to get familiar with the various ways the two expressions are used.

For instance... If one was frustrated with a task and quit, one would be more likely to say "I give up!" rather than "I give in!" but if you did use the latter it wouldn't sound unduly unusual. However, one always 'gives in' to temptation rather than 'gives up' to it...
Pond969
You can meet me at english-test.net

Give up vs. Give in #6 (permalink) Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:26 am   Give up vs. Give in

I guess I got it by 'its spirit' this time and am very much satisfied. Thank you so very much for your patient interpretation, Pond :) (may I call you like that?)

haihao
Haihao
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Use of 'Old school tie' | I didn't say anything vs I didn't say nothing
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
'Email appended below' versus 'Appended below email'Plural or not (spam emails vs. email spam)Expression: 'Rewrite the following sentence using...'How to look on the 'look'?Meaning of "key"Expression: Come over his faceExpression: Rice crop needs heat to ripenExpression: 'Find words in the passage...Is this sentence correct: This action will generate $150 000 which may...'A favor to ask of you''Keep it for you' vs 'Keep it for yourself'Meaning of "later life"Come down with flu vs. go down with flu