Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

small; of a pouch
capital
pocket
prevalent
particular
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

I didn't say anything vs I didn't say nothing

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Give up vs. Give in | Expression: Come over his face
listening exercisestell a friend
I didn't say anything vs I didn't say nothing #1 (permalink) Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:02 am   I didn't say anything vs I didn't say nothing

Hi teachers,

I was told that "I didn't say anything" has the same meaning as "I didn't say nothing"

What do you think?

Jupiter
Jupiter
I'm here quite often ;-)

I didn't say anything vs I didn't say nothing #2 (permalink) Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:47 am   I didn't say anything vs I didn't say nothing

Jupiter... whoever told you that made a serious mistake. Unless, perhaps you misunderstood...

The two phrases are opposites... not equivalents at all.

"I didn't say anything" = "I said nothing"

"I didn't say nothing" = "I said something"

However.. you should know that large numbers of English speakers *do* say 'I didn't say nothing' when they mean 'I didn't say anything'. This is not a proper language use.
Pond969
You can meet me at english-test.net

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
I didn't say anything vs I didn't say nothing #3 (permalink) Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:52 am   I didn't say anything vs I didn't say nothing

Jupiter:

The proper one is the first.

The other one, "I didn't say nothing," and anything similar to it, may be correct (from a cultural standpoint) but generally, it isn't since it violates the grammar rule of the double negative though it may sound cool to hear in the movies.
Ron1970
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

I didn't say anything vs I didn't say nothing #4 (permalink) Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:55 am   I didn't say anything vs I didn't say nothing

Hi Jupiter

Saying "I didn't say nothing" to mean the same thing as "I didn't say anything" is not standard English. But it is used by some (not all!) native speakers in informal, spoken English to mean the same thing as "I didn't say anything."

As Pond969 mentioned, if you interpret "I didn't say nothing" strictly, it means (or should mean) "I said something". But it would be unlikely that that was the intended meaning.

Amy

Give up vs. Give in | Expression: Come over his face
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Which or that?'Email appended below' versus 'Appended below email'Plural or not (spam emails vs. email spam)Expression: 'Rewrite the following sentence using...'How to look on the 'look'?Meaning of "key"Expression: Rice crop needs heat to ripenExpression: 'Find words in the passage...Is this sentence correct: This action will generate $150 000 which may...'A favor to ask of you''Keep it for you' vs 'Keep it for yourself'Meaning of "later life"Come down with flu vs. go down with flu