small; of a pouch
capital
pocket
prevalent
particular

I didn't say anything vs I didn't say nothing

Give up vs. Give in | Expression: Come over his face
I didn't say anything vs I didn't say nothing #1 (permalink) Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:02 am   I didn't say anything vs I didn't say nothing

Hi teachers,

I was told that "I didn't say anything" has the same meaning as "I didn't say nothing"

What do you think?

Jupiter
Jupiter

Location: Cambodia

I didn't say anything vs I didn't say nothing #2 (permalink) Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:47 am   I didn't say anything vs I didn't say nothing

Jupiter... whoever told you that made a serious mistake. Unless, perhaps you misunderstood...

The two phrases are opposites... not equivalents at all.

"I didn't say anything" = "I said nothing"

"I didn't say nothing" = "I said something"

However.. you should know that large numbers of English speakers *do* say 'I didn't say nothing' when they mean 'I didn't say anything'. This is not a proper language use.
Pond969

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
I didn't say anything vs I didn't say nothing #3 (permalink) Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:52 am   I didn't say anything vs I didn't say nothing

Jupiter:

The proper one is the first.

The other one, "I didn't say nothing," and anything similar to it, may be correct (from a cultural standpoint) but generally, it isn't since it violates the grammar rule of the double negative though it may sound cool to hear in the movies.
Ron1970

Location: Manila, Philippines

I didn't say anything vs I didn't say nothing #4 (permalink) Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:55 am   I didn't say anything vs I didn't say nothing

Hi Jupiter

Saying "I didn't say nothing" to mean the same thing as "I didn't say anything" is not standard English. But it is used by some (not all!) native speakers in informal, spoken English to mean the same thing as "I didn't say anything."

As Pond969 mentioned, if you interpret "I didn't say nothing" strictly, it means (or should mean) "I said something". But it would be unlikely that that was the intended meaning.

_________________

Which or that?'Email appended below' versus 'Appended below email'Plural or not (spam emails vs. email spam)Expression: 'Rewrite the following sentence using...'How to look on the 'look'?Meaning of "key"Expression: Rice crop needs heat to ripenExpression: 'Find words in the passage...Is this sentence correct: This action will generate $150 000 which may...'A favor to ask of you''Keep it for you' vs 'Keep it for yourself'Meaning of "later life"Come down with flu vs. go down with flu