flow (of water, electricity, etc.); process; tendency; direction
current
housing
garner
poll

What is the meaning of antonym?

meaning of cigarette paper | What is the difference between less, lesser and lessen?
What is the meaning of antonym? #1 (permalink) Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:01 am   What is the meaning of antonym?

ESL/EFL Test #215 "Antonyms (1)", question 1

Lou approved of the behavior his respectful sons displayed during the church service this week. What is an antonym of approve? .........

(a) commend
(b) support
(c) reject
(d) like

ESL/EFL Test #215 "Antonyms (1)", answer 1

Lou approved of the behavior his respectful sons displayed during the church service this week. What is an antonym of approve? reject

Correct answer: (c) reject

Lou approved of the behavior his respectful sons displayed during the church service this week. What is an antonym of approve? support
_________________________

what is the meaning of "antonym"?

Greta Ponk
Greta Ponk

What is the meaning of antonym? #2 (permalink) Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:29 am   What is the meaning of antonym?

An antonym is a word with the opposite meaning of another word.
For example, happy is an antonym of sad.
.
_________________

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
What is the meaning of antonym? #3 (permalink) Fri Apr 23, 2010 17:26 pm   What is the meaning of antonym?

I do understand that the verb "to reject" is the only one that has negative meaning & consequently fits here. But, this is not the antonym for "to approve". Actually, I admit that one of the meanings of "to approve" is "to "to accept". And still, in this context, the following variants (for antonyms) would fit better: to reprove, to disapprove of (of course, it's too evident), to frown on, to reprehend, to downthumb.
_________________
I find your Lack of Faith disturbing!
The Force is out there!
Gheon

Location: Center of Universe, Jedi Academy

Fleeing the countryIs she bringing you down?What does 'take the heat' mean?Clear vs. clearlyI paid for the shoes alreadyWhat does to prey on mean?fully vs. completelysee + infinitive vs. see + gerundWhy can't we say 'Geraniums been growing here'?wrinkles vs. twistsbasketball tryout?Difference between game and sportIsn't SO missing between OUT and SHE?