Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

attainment of something desired or attempted; accomplishment; prosperity
acquisition
vacancy
success
impact
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Resign versus quit

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
why not we use the verb abandon? | What is exhausted?
listening exercisestell a friend
Resign versus quit #1 (permalink) Sat Nov 25, 2006 18:10 pm   Resign versus quit

Synonym Search, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #108 "Synonyms for surrender", question 7

It will become very complicated if Mr Conrad ......... his office because there's no one who can replace him on this position.

(a) quits
(b) resigns
(c) surrenders
(d) leaves

Synonym Search, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #108 "Synonyms for surrender", answer 7

It will become very complicated if Mr Conrad resigns his office because there's no one who can replace him on this position.

Correct answer: (b) resigns

Your answer was: incorrect
It will become very complicated if Mr Conrad quits his office because there's no one who can replace him on this position.

why resign?

Simona
Simona

Resign versus quit #2 (permalink) Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:40 pm   Resign versus quit

Both have similar meanings. However, they differ in connotation or what they imply. Reisgn sounds more dignified to hear as opposed to quit which evokes a negative impression you don't like your job. Resign is is less harsh to hear and is more neutral.
Ron1970
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Resign versus quit #3 (permalink) Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:21 am   Resign versus quit

Hi Teachers,

in previous question I chose resign in You can't just resign school like that. You aren't old enough to find a job and support yourself.
and here leaves in It will become very complicated if Mr Conrad leaves his office, because there's no one who can replace him in this position.
, and both are incorrect. I'm wondering, why?

Thank you,
Vladimir.

Resign versus quit #4 (permalink) Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:21 am   Resign versus quit

You resign work, not school/
Language Coach

Resign versus quit #5 (permalink) Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:33 am   Resign versus quit

Hi Bev,

Can I use the preposition "from" with "to resign":

He resigned from work.
He resigned from office.

Thanks!
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Resign versus quit #6 (permalink) Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:37 am   Resign versus quit

Certainly. In fact I would invariably use 'from' together with a mention of a job/position/post.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Resign versus quit #7 (permalink) Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:40 am   Resign versus quit

Thanks Alan,

So, if I'm following you correctly, you would use "...if Mr Conrad resigns from his office..."?

Thank you again.
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Resign versus quit #8 (permalink) Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:45 am   Resign versus quit

Yes, if that refers to a job such as : his office as treasurer of the society.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Resign from and quit #9 (permalink) Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:45 am   Resign from and quit

Thank you, Alan and Our Tort System!

Well, so thse statements have to be as:
You can't just quit school like that. You aren't old enough to find a job and support yourself.
and
It will become very complicated if Mr Conrad resigns from his office because there's no one who can replace him on this position.

In this 7th question the correct answer would be evident if there was from before his office. Now I know. Thanks!

Vladimir.

why not we use the verb abandon? | What is exhausted?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Meaning of "early departure"?The FDIC (Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation) is a national agencyEven though he and her mother were all hunky dory againn the United States, a 401K plan allows a person to save for his/her retirementIf a company announces a recall, that means there is something wrong...Expression: keeping up with the Joneseschanged vs. modifiedDifference between pay cash and pay in cashquestion responsesMeaning of 'doubled'Meaning of AssetsExpression: In black and whiteMoney spinner