location; position; standing; role; function
equality
glove
specialty
place

How can I remember English words more quickly?

Travel plans for this summer? | Are comic books good to learn English?
How can I remember English words more quickly? #1 (permalink) Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:00 am   How can I remember English words more quickly?

There are so many words that I can hardly spell them in a short time. What can I do then? I like reading very much, but I usually find difficult words that I can't read it. How can I enlarge my glossary?
Clover_Cl401

How can I remember English words more quickly? #2 (permalink) Fri Dec 10, 2004 19:25 pm   How can I remember English words more quickly?

Clover,

when reading do not try to look up every single word you don't understand. This will only confuse you more.
Try to assume the meaning from the context - this is far more useful.

Sunny :)
Sunny

Location: Sunshine State

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
How can I remember English words more quickly? #3 (permalink) Thu Mar 30, 2006 18:30 pm   How can I remember English words more quickly?

I really shouldn't give any advice due to my own pretty poor
outcome with this barbarian language which is a mix of French, Latin, Celtic togeather with Hebrew, German ,Dutch
and ancient Greek and maybe even more,
but what has released my pain from captivity in brain was reading same text many times or same book many times
surprise but the same text in foreign language may be also interesting a lot of items will be spotted just like would had been never before there
Sad to say people are full of negligence they just can't read
anything proper in once, can they?
regards
Jan
Jan

How can I remember English words more quickly? #4 (permalink) Wed May 10, 2006 9:11 am   How can I remember English words more quickly?

I agree that you have to understand the words through context, but I think you also have to look up the meanings of the words you don't understand. Looking up the meanings of the words will broaden your vocabulary while understanding them through context will help you remember them and teach you how the words are used correctly.
Chocolatee

How can I remember English words more quickly? #5 (permalink) Wed May 10, 2006 13:50 pm   How can I remember English words more quickly?

reading many times the same text and translate it very precisely...
I think this is for human brain like software for computer
any time you need , you may use it again.
If something is just to much over surface, it may be even difficult to use it again because you may repeat it with mistake / mistakes and be unaware about this very long time.
Native speakers will take your mistake in the most comfortable way for them (sticking that to the closest correct option)
From my expirance better less and good then a lot and poorly.
regards
Jan
Jan

Location: At sea

Learning English through Movies and Music?US and British boy bands more successful in Germany than US?Written vs. oral communication?Secret code at the supermarket ('bath tissue'?)Dubbed versions of American or British movies?Women in leading positions?Interesting verb tense: I was supposed to been take my breakWhat's it all about? (Do you like like?)A big thank you to all of you!Meaning of "get-rich-quick scheme"Have you ever won anything?I just want to get in touch with an English teacher to helpPractice makes perfect