Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

contract by which property or persons are guaranteed against damage or loss
insurance
ranches
coin
implication
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Meaning of "To shot through the roof"

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
"example" + proposition + related subject | Meaning of 'learner' and 'drawing up alongside the car' in this context
listening exercisestell a friend
Meaning of "To shot through the roof" #1 (permalink) Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:23 am   Meaning of "To shot through the roof"

Dear Alan

"To shot through the roof" , please explain what does it mean?

Thanks a lot
Kelly
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Meaning of "To shot through the roof" #2 (permalink) Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:34 am   Meaning of "To shot through the roof"

Hi,

Difficult to know what you mean unless you describe the situation in which this sentence occurs. It would either be active infinitive: To shoot through the roof or passive infinitive: To be shot rhough the roof.

A
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Shot through the roof #3 (permalink) Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:54 am   Shot through the roof

As Alan says, context would be needed to know what the phrase refers to.

The idiom 'to shoot through the roof' usually means 'to increase greatly': Sales (taxes, prices, costs, etc.) have shot through the roof over the last year. The phrasal verb 'to shoot up' is often used in this sense, too.

The expression can also be used literally: the house was on fire and flames were shooting through the roof.
Conchita
Language Coach

Meaning of "To shot through the roof" #4 (permalink) Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:52 pm   Meaning of "To shot through the roof"

Dear Conchita

Perhaps you are right that the meaning shall be "increase greatly", because based on the context it's intended to talk about the dramatically change in the cost of sales.

By the way, I've already encountered with another problem is that I always hear the shipping agency mention about the "draft survey", can you give me an example what it is?

Again, thanks a lot

Regards,
Kelly
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Draft survey #5 (permalink) Fri Dec 01, 2006 15:24 pm   Draft survey

phiphili wrote:
By the way, I've already encountered with another problem is that I always hear the shipping agency mention about the "draft survey", can you give me an example what it is?

Thatís a new term for me. After some Google searching, I found that, in the context of shipping, a draft survey refers to a quantity inspection.

Quote:
The other document they issue is a "Certificate of quantity". This means they check the total quantity of the goods. This is done by way of draft survey.They survey the ship (empty) as to how deep in the water the ship sits. Then, after loading, they survey the ship again, and work out from there how much weight the ship has loaded. They calculate this from the ships specifications and the depth before and after loading.

The following link gives some more information on this:

http://www.sgs.com/draft_survey_industrial_minerals?serviceId=11150&lobId=5552
Conchita
Language Coach

"example" + proposition + related subject | Meaning of 'learner' and 'drawing up alongside the car' in this context
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Meaning of 'insider trading'Idiom: 'Get a life'I mother you: I want you to be my mother vs. I want to be your motherMeaning of "case"Meaning of 'universal notoriety' and 'preconditioning'"Shallow End" What does it mean?What is the rule? There + must/should + infinite form?Meaning of "Real of fact"Meaning of "reduce you to tears"Grammatically correct? I had the pleasure of evaluating Ms. X who presents...Expression "with arms akimbo"'Change the voice' vs 'Change the narration'Idiomatic Languages