to cede; to surrender; to give up; to forsake; to abandon
seek
relinquish
move
postpone

Humble vs. modest

What is a typical, carry-on baggage size? | Why do you need to doing that? vs Why do you need to do that?
Humble vs. modest #1 (permalink) Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:47 am   Humble vs. modest

Test No. incompl/inter-4 "Easy Questions", question 7

She never spoke about herself and was always very ......... about the good things she had done.

(a) modest
(b) meek
(c) humble
(d) simple

Test No. incompl/inter-4 "Easy Questions", answer 7

She never spoke about herself and was always very modest about the good things she had done.

Correct answer: (a) modest

She never spoke about herself and was always very humble about the good things she had done.
_________________________

dear teacher,
I thk there's sth wrong in this answer. Why not humble?
Thks
Paul

Humble/modest #2 (permalink) Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:36 am   Humble/modest

Humble describes seeing yourself as inferior all the time. Modest refers to not talking a lot about your achievements, which is needed here as this refers to what she has done.
_________________

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Humble vs. modest #3 (permalink) Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:25 am   Humble vs. modest

correct sentence:

Correct answer: (a) modest

your sentence:
She never spoke about herself and was always very meek about the good things she had done.

thx teacher,why can not use meek here?
Lacey

what is the antonym of the word petition?What does 'beg me' mean?what is jester?Sweep vs. swipe?What is a casino?Typo: The word should be "character."Am I correct or not?Meaning of tissuesDifference between "severe" and "strict"Why putting the key information at the beginning is the one fundamental principleexpose vs experienceWhat does "sewing thread" mean?It should be 'the boxes THAT were sent to you last month...