to plan; to design; to name; to call
style
omit
clarify
clip

Homophones: Drought, Draft etc

"Get over it" versus "Get it over with" | Expression: 'He soon retired...'
Homophones: Drought, Draft etc #1 (permalink) Sun Dec 17, 2006 18:01 pm   Homophones: Drought, Draft etc

Would you say that the following words are homophones?

(a) drought
(b) draft
(c) draught
(d) daft

Homophones: Drought, Draft etc #2 (permalink) Sun Dec 17, 2006 18:11 pm   Homophones: Drought, Draft etc

No
_________________

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Homophones: Drought, Draft etc #3 (permalink) Sun Dec 17, 2006 18:49 pm   Homophones: Drought, Draft etc

Hi Tom

Your question worries me since I think you must know what the definition of homophone is. One and won are homophones, for example. They are pronounced the same way even though they're spelled differently, and they have different meanings.

Why did you include daft when there isn't an 'r' in it as there are in the other words?

Your question leads me to believe that you might be having some trouble with spoken English. How have you been learning and practicing pronunciation and speaking?

_________________

Homophones: Drought, Draft etc #4 (permalink) Sun Dec 17, 2006 20:05 pm   Homophones: Drought, Draft etc

I think Tom is questioning the title of the test.

_________________

Homophones: Drought, Draft etc #5 (permalink) Sun Dec 17, 2006 20:11 pm   Homophones: Drought, Draft etc

Many, many thanks to everybody.

Yes, you are right, Mr. Townend :D...I just wanted to say that if the students are asked to pick the correct homophone from the choices given, then, perhaps, all the words should be homophones.

What do you think? Do we agree?

Homophones: Drought, Draft etc #6 (permalink) Sun Dec 17, 2006 20:40 pm   Homophones: Drought, Draft etc

Hi Tom

So sorry. My senses had temporarily deserted me when I answered your other homophones thread (the first edit attempt): dessert and desert are homphones when desert is a verb.

Were there any other sentences that you thought didn't contain any homophones as options?

Yes, you could also make a test in which the only choices given are homophones.

_________________

Stand correctedExpression: "Pictorial glimpses of the meeting""At present" vs "At the present"Better "also" or "too"?Use of 'At the time"British English being influenced! - The use of 'Like'Title: 'Demonstration for a part of the Passport Administration Scheduling..."Look for" vs "Look up""Language" vs " A language"'Must have' vs 'Should have''He wanted to be a success…''He said I deserved no less.''One out of seven' vs 'one in five' :)