temporary; provisional
interim
generous
entire
informal

You taking the time vs. your taking the time

British English being influenced! - The use of 'Like' | Expression: 'This is the whole kit and kaboodle'
You taking the time vs. your taking the time #1 (permalink) Tue Dec 19, 2006 18:04 pm   You taking the time vs. your taking the time

Hi, both of the following constructions seem to be used in modern English, which one is 'more correct':

'We appreciate you taking the time to...'
'We appreciate your taking the time to...'

I really appreciate your taking the time to share your thoughts on this.

TOEIC listening, photographs: An emergency vehicle

You taking the time vs. your taking the time #2 (permalink) Tue Dec 19, 2006 19:13 pm   You taking the time vs. your taking the time

Hi Torsten

As far as I know, saying "your taking time" is technically the correct version, but you will hear "you taking time" plenty often from native speakers. Just try googling "appreciate your doing" and then "appreciate you doing" and see which one has more results. Of course, Google search results aren't the ultimate authority for grammar issues, but the very first result I got with the "you" version was from the White House website. :D

_________________

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
You taking the time vs. your taking the time #3 (permalink) Tue Dec 19, 2006 19:50 pm   You taking the time vs. your taking the time

Hi Torsten,

I think the difference is purely and simply a question of emphasis. In other words 'you' taking the time is 'you' and nobody else doing it and 'your' taking the time refers to the action of 'taking the time'.

_________________

"approve of" vs. "approve"Article question and plural/singularMeaning of "spotting"Meaning of "Novel Bend"Expression: to wear a hair shirt 24/7Stand correctedPronunciation of "TUV"Expression: "Pictorial glimpses of the meeting""At present" vs "At the present"Another questionChinese is a torturing language vs. Chinese is a tortured languageBetter "also" or "too"?Use of 'At the time"