Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

the proportion of available time that an item of equipment is operating
utilization
offense
aptitude
coalition
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Cloze Passage

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Common nouns, unusual verbs: "Breakfast, something" etc | Present simple negative
listening exercisestell a friend
Cloze Passage #1 (permalink) Thu Dec 28, 2006 20:33 pm   Cloze Passage

Hi

Could you please give me some information about "Cloze passages"? Why do we spell it with a "z"? Was "Cloze" some English professor who introduced them?

Many thanks in advance...

Tom
Tom
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Cloze Passage #2 (permalink) Thu Dec 28, 2006 20:40 pm   Cloze Passage

Hi Tom,

This word 'cloze' appears to come from 'closure' (notice the sound of that word) suggesting completion. In other words you complete the sentence by supplying the missing word as in our 'Incomplete sentences' on this site.

A
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Cloze Passage #3 (permalink) Thu Dec 28, 2006 21:47 pm   Cloze Passage

Alan wrote:
This word 'cloze' appears to come from 'closure' (notice the sound of that word) suggesting completion. In other words you complete the sentence by supplying the missing word as in our 'Incomplete sentences' on this site.

The Oxford dictionaries confirm this. So, it's fact, and not only Alan's opinion.
Jamie (K)
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Cloze Passage #4 (permalink) Thu Dec 28, 2006 22:40 pm   Cloze Passage

Phew!!!
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Cloze Passage #5 (permalink) Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:24 am   Cloze Passage

Alan wrote:
Phew!!!

Well, you said "appears to be". That made it sound like you weren't sure or hadn't checked any reference to confirm your conclusion. That is, unless I misunderstand the British usage of "appears to be". For all I know, some British people may rush from a house in flames, call the fire department and say, "My house appears to be on fire."

I do know that sometimes when the British say, "Well done," it means, "Well done," but at other times it means, "You've really botched that up."
Jamie (K)
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Cloze Passage #6 (permalink) Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:32 am   Cloze Passage

Quote:
The Oxford dictionaries confirm this. So, it's fact, and not only Alan's opinion

Hi

Could you please tell me the difference between "fact" and "a fact"? I have always treated it as a countable noun! :shock: When can I possibly treat it as an uncountable noun??

Many thanks in advance

Yours

Tom
Tom
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Cloze Passage #7 (permalink) Fri Dec 29, 2006 13:41 pm   Cloze Passage

Tom wrote:
Could you please tell me the difference between "fact" and "a fact"? I have always treated it as a countable noun! :shock: When can I possibly treat it as an uncountable noun??

That's a good question. There doesn't seem to be a difference. In the sentence I used, I could just as well have said "a fact". I have checked dictionaries, and they show examples of the word both as a countable and uncountable noun, but they don't explain why. All I can see is that after the preposition "in" and the phrase "as a matter of" the word takes no article. It also has no article and is uncountable when it means events or situations that have really occurred.

You can get a little bit of explanation if you look up "fact" in this Longman online dictionary: http://www.ldoceonline.com
Jamie (K)
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Common nouns, unusual verbs: "Breakfast, something" etc | Present simple negative
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
"one year" vs. "a year"Quadruple of...?Articles: Generic and DefiniteWould the line 'my imprecation lies(...)' be considered proper English?Errors: management are very highly important in an industrial society...The use of "#"Expression: 'Most users ever online was 195 on Sun Mar 26, 2006 22:18 pm'Curriculm vs. curriclaSubject verb agreement?Is it inversion?"must" vs "have to""much trouble" vs "a lot of troubles"Meaning of "early bird"