ability to speak and write easily; eloquence; articulateness; gracefulness
carpenter
announcement
fluency
prerogative

Meaning of phrase: "Lodging and boarding"

Law dictionary | at around 7 - without 'at'
Meaning of phrase: "Lodging and boarding" #1 (permalink) Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:22 am   Meaning of phrase: "Lodging and boarding"

Could you please tell me what exactly the following phrase means. On which occasions can I use it?

"Lodging and boarding"

Thanks in advance

Phrase: "Lodging and boarding" #2 (permalink) Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:51 am   Phrase: "Lodging and boarding"

Definitions from the Oxford American Dictionary:

lodging
-- a place in which someone lives or stays temporarily : they found a cheap lodging in a backstreet | a fee for board and lodging.
-- ( lodgings) a room or rooms rented out to someone, usually in the same residence as the owner.

board
he provision of regular meals when one stays somewhere, in return for payment or services

So, lodging is the place where you stay temporarily, and board is your food.

In the US we usually say "lodging and meals" (or "meals and lodging") when someone is merely on a trip, and we say "room and board" when someone lives somewhere for an extended time, such as when students live in a dormitory.

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Meaning of phrase: "Lodging and boarding" #3 (permalink) Thu Jan 04, 2007 16:45 pm   Meaning of phrase: "Lodging and boarding"

According to Google, the expression 'lodging and boarding' seems to be favoured in Asia over 'board and lodging' (UK) or 'room and board' (US).

Meaning of phrase: "Lodging and boarding" #4 (permalink) Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:53 am   Meaning of phrase: "Lodging and boarding"

it relates to tour bill
Uktisanjay

"to be going to" vs "shall"by vs as much as vs up to"are out of school" vs "don't go to school"inversion of adverbsTo settle the horsesTo feel the hand of history on your shoulderthe door opens vs. the door will opennumber of decimal placesyou will be able/ you are ablePreposition in the sentence: I like sitting in/on my balcony in the summer.gerund or nounthe usage of 'that'Comparative study of languages