Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

ability to speak and write easily; eloquence; articulateness; gracefulness
carpenter
announcement
fluency
prerogative
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Meaning of phrase: "Lodging and boarding"

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Law dictionary | at around 7 - without 'at'
listening exercisestell a friend
Meaning of phrase: "Lodging and boarding" #1 (permalink) Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:22 am   Meaning of phrase: "Lodging and boarding"

Hi

Could you please tell me what exactly the following phrase means. On which occasions can I use it?

"Lodging and boarding"

Thanks in advance

Tom
Tom
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Phrase: "Lodging and boarding" #2 (permalink) Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:51 am   Phrase: "Lodging and boarding"

Definitions from the Oxford American Dictionary:

lodging
-- a place in which someone lives or stays temporarily : they found a cheap lodging in a backstreet | a fee for board and lodging.
-- ( lodgings) a room or rooms rented out to someone, usually in the same residence as the owner.

board
he provision of regular meals when one stays somewhere, in return for payment or services

So, lodging is the place where you stay temporarily, and board is your food.

In the US we usually say "lodging and meals" (or "meals and lodging") when someone is merely on a trip, and we say "room and board" when someone lives somewhere for an extended time, such as when students live in a dormitory.
Jamie (K)
I'm a Communicator ;-)

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Meaning of phrase: "Lodging and boarding" #3 (permalink) Thu Jan 04, 2007 16:45 pm   Meaning of phrase: "Lodging and boarding"

According to Google, the expression 'lodging and boarding' seems to be favoured in Asia over 'board and lodging' (UK) or 'room and board' (US).
Conchita
Language Coach

Meaning of phrase: "Lodging and boarding" #4 (permalink) Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:53 am   Meaning of phrase: "Lodging and boarding"

it relates to tour bill
Uktisanjay

Law dictionary | at around 7 - without 'at'
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
"to be going to" vs "shall"by vs as much as vs up to"are out of school" vs "don't go to school"inversion of adverbsTo settle the horsesTo feel the hand of history on your shoulderthe door opens vs. the door will opennumber of decimal placesyou will be able/ you are ablePreposition in the sentence: I like sitting in/on my balcony in the summer.gerund or nounthe usage of 'that'Comparative study of languages