Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to discern; to perceive; to pay attention; to observe; to remark
satisfy
notice
would
prepare
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

He lost interest in it vs. he lost his interest

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Do you have questions not about elephants? | liability is not a debit or credit
listening exercisestell a friend
He lost interest in it vs. he lost his interest #1 (permalink) Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:59 am   He lost interest in it vs. he lost his interest

English Idioms and Expressions, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #3 "A piece of cake", question 3

When he heard that the necklace had been stolen, he dropped it like a hot potato.

(a) he let it fall from his hands
(b) he suddenly lost interest in it
(c) he gave it to somebody else
(d) he hid it in the fridge

English Idioms and Expressions, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #3 "A piece of cake", answer 3

When he heard that the necklace had been stolen, he suddenly lost interest in it.

Correct answer: (b) he suddenly lost interest in it

Your answer was: incorrect
When he heard that the necklace had been stolen, he let it fall from his hands.

Hi,

I just have a question here. According to the dictionary, the term "hot potato" prefers to some problem which is difficult to deal with, so why here we have "lost his interest"?

Thank you
Garmasch
Garmasch

Hot potato #2 (permalink) Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:39 am   Hot potato

Hi,

Yes, you're right, a hot potato is a problem or difficult situation but the expression:
Quote:
he dropped it like a hot potato.
indicates that he suddenly lost interest in it and wanted to have no more to do with it simply because the necklace was a stolen item.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
He lost interest in it vs. he lost his interest #3 (permalink) Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 am   He lost interest in it vs. he lost his interest

What I understood from the sentence is that he had stolen the necklace, when he heard that people knew about it, he dropped it to the ground in order not to get caught red-handed with it.
Khetu

He lost interest in it vs. he lost his interest #4 (permalink) Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:06 am   He lost interest in it vs. he lost his interest

No, he had merely purchased stolen property unknowingly. I agree, however, that in the context given, the idiom could well mean that he 'dropped it suddenly as if burnt by it'.

He lost interest in it vs. he lost his interest #5 (permalink) Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:33 am   He lost interest in it vs. he lost his interest

Please activate Javascript in your browser to listen to this audio recording

34 Listened
Download mp3 Click to listen

Hi Khetu,

The whole point of this test is to show idioms in use and it isn't really possible to interpret an idiom literally as you have suggested in your comment. Take another idiom for example: It's like falling off a log, which means doing something very easy. What it doesn't mean is that you are standing on a log and when you come to the end, you fall off it.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

He lost interest in it vs. he lost his interest #6 (permalink) Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:44 am   He lost interest in it vs. he lost his interest

I'm afraid that this is one of those fringe cases, Alan. The question needs re-writing. Here are some reputable examples:

She was not amused with the funny-tasting bean and dropped it like a hot potato. And then glared at it.

"Some enterprising beggar tried to make off with this valise," he said. "I had come down from Jack's room, and was sitting in the library, when I saw him sneak up on the porch, and try to get away with it. He dropped it like a hot potato when I sang out to him."

"He took up the book; but seeing the owner suddenly appear, he dropped it like a hot potato."

By the way, do you know that our tests are being plagiarized? Have a look here: http://tieng-anh.com/intermediate-idioms/0003.php

Do you have questions not about elephants? | liability is not a debit or credit
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Things such as "lives in the outskirts of"...I don't think you are going to get your damage deposit back...I'm here to inform you that I'm pressing charges against...A good dictionary for slang idioms"out of a sense" vs "in a sense of"What does float one's boat mean?Meaning of 'Species'When do we use "their" and they're in the sentence?How do elephants drink water with trunks?What does the expression 'seeing forest from trees' mean?meaning of deviateContraction of "do not" is "don't"Very kind of you