Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

right; special privilege
funnel
addiction
sway
prerogative
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Exchange vs. interchange

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Alter vs. change | Expression: "the other day"
listening exercisestell a friend
Exchange vs. interchange #1 (permalink) Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:11 am   Exchange vs. interchange

English Synonym, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #64 "Synonyms for change", question 10

The two sisters are very close, they ......... letters every week.

(a) alter
(b) shift
(c) exchange
(d) switch

English Synonym, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #64 "Synonyms for change", answer 10

The two sisters are very close, they exchange letters every week.

Correct answer: (c) exchange

Your answer was: correct

What is the exact difference between "exchange" & " interchange"?

Marinka
Marinka

Exchange vs. interchange #2 (permalink) Sat Jan 06, 2007 14:24 pm   Exchange vs. interchange

I see from the dictionary that the verb interchange can also mean 'give to, and receive from, one another'-- but usually it is used to mean that one item is replaced with another. Two machines, for instance, may have interchangeable parts-- meaning that the widget wheel in one machine can be used also in the other machine.

This concept or connotation does not apply in the exchange of letters, as each letter is unique; in any case, the normal usage is for exchange in the case of correspondence and interchange in the case of identical widget wheels.

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
Exchange vs. interchange #3 (permalink) Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:32 am   Exchange vs. interchange

Hello Sir,

What is the meaning of 'switch' and 'vary' in the test ? And how these words can be brought into use?

Thanks!
Sonia*
I'm here quite often ;-)

Exchange vs. interchange #4 (permalink) Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:31 am   Exchange vs. interchange

Hi Sonia,

In this test 'switch' is incorrect, so has no correct meaning, but the author probably intended you to think of it as 'change from one thing to another'.
It is point 2 (with examples of usage) in the Learner's Dictionary here.

The test does not use the word 'vary'. Do you mean very?
Language Coach

Exchange vs. interchange #5 (permalink) Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:49 am   Exchange vs. interchange

Hi,

Thanks!
Sonia*
I'm here quite often ;-)

Exchange vs. interchange #6 (permalink) Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:54 am   Exchange vs. interchange

Beeesneees wrote:
Hi Sonia,

In this test 'switch' is incorrect, so has no correct meaning, but the author probably intended you to think of it as 'change from one thing to another'.
It is point 2 (with examples of usage) in the Learner's Dictionary here.

The test does not use the word 'vary'. Do you mean very?

In the test question number four, has the option, Vary. that is why I had raised the qusetion. Anyway, Sorry for causing inconvienence to you.

Many Thanks for the links.

Best wishes!
Sonia*
Sonia*
I'm here quite often ;-)

Exchange vs. interchange #7 (permalink) Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:05 am   Exchange vs. interchange

Hi Sonia,

Thanks for the explanation. I didn't look at the other test questions. It was - and is - no inconvenience to me to answer your questions. Please continue to ask if you wish. I just feel that initially it would be quicker and more beneficial for you to use a dictionary for a straightforward query. Then if you are still unsure or need further advice, someone here will hopefully be able to help you.
I hope you understand my reasoning.
Language Coach

Exchange vs. interchange #8 (permalink) Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:11 am   Exchange vs. interchange

HERE'S the on-line dictionary that I use, Sonia– it searches about a thousand dictionaries at once, so you can always find one that explains the word to your satisfaction.

Exchange vs. interchange #9 (permalink) Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:31 am   Exchange vs. interchange

Beeesneees wrote:
Hi Sonia,

Thanks for the explanation. I didn't look at the other test questions. It was - and is - no inconvenience to me to answer your questions. Please continue to ask if you wish. I just feel that initially it would be quicker and more beneficial for you to use a dictionary for a straightforward query. Then if you are still unsure or need further advice, someone here will hopefully be able to help you.
I hope you understand my reasoning.

Thanks a million Beeesneees. I understand the inculcated habit of looking words up into the dictionary. I understand your reasoning Sir, infact, It is a good idea to use the dictionary. Ofcourse, I would continue raising questions, if there is a need further.

Best Wishes!
Sonia*
Sonia*
I'm here quite often ;-)

Exchange vs. interchange #10 (permalink) Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:33 am   Exchange vs. interchange

Mister Micawber wrote:
HERE'S the on-line dictionary that I use, Sonia– it searches about a thousand dictionaries at once, so you can always find one that explains the word to your satisfaction.

Thanks a lot Mr Micawber for the link.

Best Wishes!
Sonia*
Sonia*
I'm here quite often ;-)

Alter vs. change | Expression: "the other day"
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
What does this phrase mean: It was a tie?What does moss mean?unless vs. untilencourage vs. thinkInversion or possessiveWhat "cut to the chase" mean?meaning of "fees"meaning of glimpse (glimpsing)Using the word "return"Blessing vs. prayingWhat is the meaning of earningExpression "some money to go on holidays"Pirates vs. gangsters