a support that consists of a horizontal surface for holding objects; projection; rock ledge; sandbank
refuse
lead
content
shelf

"Despite of" versus "inspite of"

as you prefer | "He cannot be foolish to say so."
"Despite of" versus "inspite of" #1 (permalink) Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:19 am   "Despite of" versus "inspite of"

When do you use despite of and when to use inspite of... :roll:

is there a difference?

Thanks in advance!!!
Cornelius

Location: Makati City, Philippines

"Despite of" versus "inspite of" #2 (permalink) Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:34 am   "Despite of" versus "inspite of"

cornelius wrote:

is there a difference?

Thanks in advance!

Hi corneliys

"Despite of" is a grammatical error! Inspite of= Despite

1- Despite the rough weather, she came on time.
2- Inspite of the rough weather, she came on time.

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
"Despite of" versus "inspite of" #3 (permalink) Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:28 am   "Despite of" versus "inspite of"

i see.. thanks tom! i wouldn't have known that had you not told me....

one last question...
when is it better to use despite over inspite of?

thansk again -cornelius
Cornelius

Location: Makati City, Philippines

"Despite of" versus "inspite of" #4 (permalink) Sat Jan 13, 2007 23:16 pm   "Despite of" versus "inspite of"

In spite --- two words

In spite of the fact that the Brewers suck, fans flock to Miller Park to watch the Brewers play.

Despite the fact that the rewers suck, fans...
_________________
Billie Jean is not my lover. Hee.
Prezbucky

Location: Nashville, TN (USA)

"Despite of" versus "inspite of" #5 (permalink) Sat Jan 13, 2007 23:18 pm   "Despite of" versus "inspite of"

Cornelius

IMO, they're more or less equal. Just pick one (until someone else comes along with clearly delineated usage rules for them, anyway. hehe).
_________________
Billie Jean is not my lover. Hee.
Prezbucky

Location: Nashville, TN (USA)

"Despite of" versus "inspite of" #6 (permalink) Sun Jan 14, 2007 16:44 pm   "Despite of" versus "inspite of"

oooppss.! is it really two words... hahhahah.... common error i guess.... :-D thank you so much .. i really have to share this with my friend... salamat (thanks) again!
Cornelius

Location: Makati City, Philippines

"Despite of" versus "inspite of" #7 (permalink) Tue Jan 16, 2007 14:40 pm   "Despite of" versus "inspite of"

de nada

niente

you're welcome

bitte
_________________
Billie Jean is not my lover. Hee.
Prezbucky

Location: Nashville, TN (USA)

"Despite of" versus "inspite of" #8 (permalink) Thu May 07, 2009 5:44 am   "Despite of" versus "inspite of"

despite can be replaced with "even though".
-Despite the fact that they lived in a bad neighborhood, the children were very well behaved.
in spite of can be "because"
-In spite of the bad neighbohood that they grew up in, the children are now very successful.

they can pretty much be switched out unless the person you are writing to/for is very picky and knows the difference.
Katerileydoerr

"Despite of" versus "inspite of" #9 (permalink) Thu May 07, 2009 6:27 am   "Despite of" versus "inspite of"

in spite of can be "because"

Because of the bad neighbourhood that they grew up in, the children are now very successful.

This isn't very logical, is it ?
_________________

reviewing the old information #10 (permalink) Thu May 07, 2009 7:59 am   reviewing the old information

thank u tom and collegee

I knew this information but because of leaving the language use for a long time i forget it ... reviewing is good :D
Nadazeituoun

"Despite of" versus "inspite of" #11 (permalink) Thu May 07, 2009 20:38 pm   "Despite of" versus "inspite of"

Kitosdad wrote:
in spite of can be "because"

This isn't very logical, is it ?

This is wrong. "In spite of" cannot mean "because".

This means that the neighborhood had a good effect on the children's character that has helped to make them successful.

In spite of the bad neighbourhood that they grew up in, the children are now very successful.
This means that the neighborhood affected people's character negatively, but surprisingly these children somehow did not succumb to its negative influences.

"Despite of" versus "inspite of" #12 (permalink) Mon May 11, 2009 4:57 am   "Despite of" versus "inspite of"

Jamie (K) wrote:

That's what I meant.
Because the children grew up in a bad neighborhood, they wanted to be different, whatever.

Sorry it wasn't that great of an example, but in spite of is pretty much saying that because negative blah blah blah happened, positive blah blah blah happened as a result of the person that the negative thing happened to not wanting the negative thing to happen again.

haha. ea
Katerileydoerr

"Despite of" versus "inspite of" #13 (permalink) Fri Feb 05, 2010 17:30 pm   "Despite of" versus "inspite of"

In spite of and despite are the same.
Because can not be used instead though because it would make the experience of the neighbourhood a positive one not a negative one.
Despite living in a bad neighbourhood, she did really well at school. Positive outcome to a negative situation.
I hope this helps.
Loislane

"Despite of" versus "inspite of" #14 (permalink) Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:23 am   "Despite of" versus "inspite of"

Is the use of preposition on correct in this: no belt on the gift list???
Imt238

"Despite of" versus "inspite of" #15 (permalink) Sun Feb 07, 2010 16:50 pm   "Despite of" versus "inspite of"

yes, the preposition is correct.
Loislane

Basicallymention and to make mention ofAntonym of "reverse order"Despiseto improve vs. improvefamily reunionSentence: THe to-be modified pages should be listed first.homingPlease check my essay.Thank you!funny boneDo we capitalize Initial letter of a common nounI am in the shop/at the shop buying some things/stuff.fluency or proficiency