Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

offer; plan; theory; problem
midmorning
apology
proposition
dietician
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

What are compound nouns?

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
meaning of "swallow his pride" | Indian words used in English! Sherbat, Pankah, Chutney
listening exercisestell a friend
What are compound nouns? #1 (permalink) Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:40 am   What are compound nouns?

I need your help once again. I'm a little bit confused. What are compound nouns? What would be the criteria that would classify two words as compound nouns?

If you're given words like: playground, policeman, plastic surgery and taxi stand, which ones would be considered compound?

Thanks a lot in advance! :)
Hunnybunny
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Compound Nouns? #2 (permalink) Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:57 am   Compound Nouns?

All your examples are compound nouns, which are combinations of two or more words. For more information, you can have a look at:

http://www.edufind.com/english/grammar/NOUNS4.cfm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_compound
http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/grammar/learnit/learnitv155.shtml
Conchita
Language Coach

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
What are compound nouns? #3 (permalink) Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:55 am   What are compound nouns?

Thanks, Ms. Conchita! I really appreciate it! :D
Hunnybunny
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

meaning of "swallow his pride" | Indian words used in English! Sherbat, Pankah, Chutney
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
meaning of "in one respect"Those days vs. These daysCome to an end vs. come to the endHaving problem with the commause of the Present Simple in the phrase 'I forget the name now'Should be WHEN instead of IF: "Mind your head if bending"How often do you use tjhe adjective 'promiscuous'?meaning of "Thatís all there is."respected vs. respectfultask vs. assignmentmeaning of "at all"Meaning of 'on end' in a particular sentenceExpression: I think you would like to see the magazine!