offer; plan; theory; problem
midmorning
apology
proposition
dietician

What are compound nouns?

meaning of "swallow his pride" | Indian words used in English! Sherbat, Pankah, Chutney
What are compound nouns? #1 (permalink) Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:40 am   What are compound nouns?

I need your help once again. I'm a little bit confused. What are compound nouns? What would be the criteria that would classify two words as compound nouns?

If you're given words like: playground, policeman, plastic surgery and taxi stand, which ones would be considered compound?

Thanks a lot in advance! :)
Hunnybunny

Location: Philippines

Compound Nouns? #2 (permalink) Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:57 am   Compound Nouns?

All your examples are compound nouns, which are combinations of two or more words. For more information, you can have a look at:

http://www.edufind.com/english/grammar/NOUNS4.cfm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_compound
http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/grammar/learnit/learnitv155.shtml

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
What are compound nouns? #3 (permalink) Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:55 am   What are compound nouns?

Thanks, Ms. Conchita! I really appreciate it! :D
Hunnybunny

Location: Philippines

meaning of "in one respect"Those days vs. These daysCome to an end vs. come to the endHaving problem with the commause of the Present Simple in the phrase 'I forget the name now'Should be WHEN instead of IF: "Mind your head if bending"How often do you use tjhe adjective 'promiscuous'?meaning of "Thatís all there is."respected vs. respectfultask vs. assignmentmeaning of "at all"Meaning of 'on end' in a particular sentenceExpression: I think you would like to see the magazine!