Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

variety; difference; unlikeness
strategy
diversity
drill
leader
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

What does 'have gone' mean?

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Difference between subjective and objective | What is the difference between 'move' and 'disappear? And which means step aside?
listening exercisestell a friend
What does 'have gone' mean? #1 (permalink) Sat Dec 11, 2004 4:48 am   What does 'have gone' mean?

Test No. incompl/inter-19 "A Collision - Finish this Story", question 6

Yes, now he's gone I can see that there are two cars in the car park that ..........

(a) gone through each one
(b) gone by one another
(c) gone into one another
(d) gone into each one

Test No. incompl/inter-19 "A Collision - Finish this Story", answer 6

Yes, now he's gone I can see that there are two cars in the car park that gone into one another.

Correct answer: (c) gone into one another

Your answer was: incorrect
Yes, now he's gone I can see that there are two cars in the car park that gone into each one.

that gone? I don't see it's correct.

shouldn't it be have gone?
rich7
Rich7
I'm here quite often ;-)

Have gone #2 (permalink) Sat Dec 11, 2004 5:28 am   Have gone

yep you are right my man, at least in my eyes. and a car park? would it not be easier to say in a parking lot. haha. what i can see is that it should be:

Yes, now he's gone I can see that there are two cars in the car park that have gone into one another or each other..
Yo
I'm here quite often ;-)

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Car park #3 (permalink) Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:06 am   Car park

In the UK every shopping centre, airport, theatre or office facility has got a car park. It's a place with many parking lots. There is probably an American equivalent to it.
Yes, it should read ...cars have gone and you can check it here:
http://www.english-test.net/esl/learn/english/grammar/ii019/index.html

TOEIC short conversations: Personal assistant reminds her boss that memo needs reviewing and signing.
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

What does 'have gone' mean? #4 (permalink) Tue Feb 05, 2008 13:50 pm   What does 'have gone' mean?

Does "go into one another" means "crash to one another"
Candy S

What does 'have gone' mean? #5 (permalink) Tue Feb 05, 2008 14:51 pm   What does 'have gone' mean?

Hi,

The expression is: crash into one another.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

What does 'have gone' mean? #6 (permalink) Thu Feb 07, 2008 0:33 am   What does 'have gone' mean?

Just a couple of comments on this thread from an American perspective:

go into one another:
I would not equate "go into one another" with "crash into each other". In the context of this story, "go into one another" would definitely not be a typical thing to say in American English. I assume the crash was supposed to be a minor one, and in that case, we'd probably say that there had been a "fender-bender" or, more formally, "a minor collision".

car park = parking lot:
As far as I know, the British expression "car park" is what we would call a "parking lot" in the US. (And if Yo's post is any indication, "parking lot" is what it's called in Canada, too.) In an American parking lot, each car parks in an individual "parking space".

What does 'have gone' mean? #7 (permalink) Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:20 am   What does 'have gone' mean?

According to Wikipedia Canadians also use the term "parkade" while people in the Midwest say "parking ramp". And then, there is the term "parking structure" which seems to be used by engineers.

TOEIC listening, question-response: Could I see your driver's license?
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

What does 'have gone' mean? #8 (permalink) Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:49 am   What does 'have gone' mean?

A "parking structure" would be a type of building -- usually with several levels. Only the top level might be open-air. I'd also call this a "parking garage".

A "parking lot" would generally be understood as an open-air area at ground level where many cars can park.

I don't really know the expression "parking ramp", but would assume that if it is actually in widespread use somewhere in the Midwest, it would refer to a parking garage/structure rather than a single-level, open-air parking lot. Maybe Jamie will enlighten us.:wink:

What does 'have gone' mean? #9 (permalink) Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:14 am   What does 'have gone' mean?

Why we can not use "gone through each one?

Thanks
Petchnamnung

What does 'have gone' mean? #10 (permalink) Thu May 07, 2009 17:07 pm   What does 'have gone' mean?

what does ,,go into one another'' mean? thanks
Saneta
I'm a Communicator ;-)

What does 'have gone' mean? #11 (permalink) Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:37 am   What does 'have gone' mean?

Hi teacher,
I was taught when there are two, then we use 'each other' and there are more than two, we use 'one an other'.But here 'gone into one an other' is used though there are only two cars. It means my old teacher was wrong?
Thank you
Tran Nga
Nga Tran
You can meet me at english-test.net

What does 'have gone' mean? #12 (permalink) Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:22 pm   What does 'have gone' mean?

HI SIR?
WHAT MEANS GO INTO ?
Kimdung9210
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Difference between subjective and objective | What is the difference between 'move' and 'disappear? And which means step aside?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
not as pronounced as it is currentlyThere's no hope for me?try on vs. try outMeaning of "To make headway"How to use prepositions of time?"I'm sure we'll make it" vs "I'm sure we'll take it"What does "well back" mean?Use 'just': for exemple: Just him and me?provision vs. providerI would like to know if we leave 'what' any longer?Meaning of phrasal verb "to wrap up"I just can't get across to her vs. get through to herMany vs. some/ much vs. many/ few vs. a little