journals and newspapers collectively; act or process of printing
exchange
press
knowledge
surplus

What is 'a slip of the tongue'? Is it an idiom?

What does 'plaintiff' mean? | What is 'reserved power'?
What is 'a slip of the tongue'? Is it an idiom? #1 (permalink) Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:38 am   What is 'a slip of the tongue'? Is it an idiom?

Synonym Search, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #115 "Synonyms for mistake and blunder", question 3

You shouldn't worry about this, it was only a ......... of the tongue and no one really noticed.

(a) misunderstanding
(b) slip
(c) mistake
(d) blunder

Synonym Search, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #115 "Synonyms for mistake and blunder", answer 3

You shouldn't worry about this, it was only a slip of the tongue and no one really noticed.

Correct answer: (b) slip
_________________________

what is slip?

nona m.
nona m.

What is 'a slip of the tongue'? Is it an idiom? #2 (permalink) Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:47 am   What is 'a slip of the tongue'? Is it an idiom?

A slip is a mistake, especially if it is not very important. The expression a slip of the tongue means 'a mistake in speaking'.

Edit: Sorry! I had written 'a mistake in sleeping'!

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
What is 'a slip of the tongue'? Is it an idiom? #3 (permalink) Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:10 am   What is 'a slip of the tongue'? Is it an idiom?

Hi Concita,

The mind boggles at what your first sentence (pre edit) might have meant.

_________________

What is 'a slip of the tongue'? Is it an idiom? #4 (permalink) Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:43 am   What is 'a slip of the tongue'? Is it an idiom?

:lol:

That's it. I'm positive now that we have our very own goblin in English-test.net. I normally reread what I write (and not just once), but a mischievous creature seems to get a kick out of playing with our words.

It must be a relative of the one we have at home, whose favourite pastime is misplacing or, rather, hiding things all the time.

What does "lose face" mean?'Sort of' vs 'Kind of'worst vs. worseUse the words Told and Tolledmeaning of "Tell off"thrashed vs. whippedblunder vs. stumbleWhat does 'break up on re-entry' to Earth mean?What does 'to confuse the issue' mean?What does 'to make an issue' mean?What does this idiom mean: 'out of your mind'? Does it mean 'unsure'?What does 'supreme court' mean?Besides vs. Beside