Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

journals and newspapers collectively; act or process of printing
exchange
press
knowledge
surplus
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

What is 'a slip of the tongue'? Is it an idiom?

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
What does 'plaintiff' mean? | What is 'reserved power'?
listening exercisestell a friend
What is 'a slip of the tongue'? Is it an idiom? #1 (permalink) Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:38 am   What is 'a slip of the tongue'? Is it an idiom?

Synonym Search, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #115 "Synonyms for mistake and blunder", question 3

You shouldn't worry about this, it was only a ......... of the tongue and no one really noticed.

(a) misunderstanding
(b) slip
(c) mistake
(d) blunder

Synonym Search, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #115 "Synonyms for mistake and blunder", answer 3

You shouldn't worry about this, it was only a slip of the tongue and no one really noticed.

Correct answer: (b) slip

what is slip?

nona m.
nona m.

What is 'a slip of the tongue'? Is it an idiom? #2 (permalink) Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:47 am   What is 'a slip of the tongue'? Is it an idiom?

A slip is a mistake, especially if it is not very important. The expression a slip of the tongue means 'a mistake in speaking'.

Edit: Sorry! I had written 'a mistake in sleeping'!
Conchita
Language Coach

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
What is 'a slip of the tongue'? Is it an idiom? #3 (permalink) Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:10 am   What is 'a slip of the tongue'? Is it an idiom?

Hi Concita,

The mind boggles at what your first sentence (pre edit) might have meant.

A
Co-founder
Alan Townend

What is 'a slip of the tongue'? Is it an idiom? #4 (permalink) Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:43 am   What is 'a slip of the tongue'? Is it an idiom?

Alan wrote:
The mind boggles at what your first sentence (pre edit) might have meant.

:lol:

That's it. I'm positive now that we have our very own goblin in English-test.net. I normally reread what I write (and not just once), but a mischievous creature seems to get a kick out of playing with our words.

It must be a relative of the one we have at home, whose favourite pastime is misplacing or, rather, hiding things all the time.
Conchita
Language Coach

What does 'plaintiff' mean? | What is 'reserved power'?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
What does "lose face" mean?'Sort of' vs 'Kind of'worst vs. worseUse the words Told and Tolledmeaning of "Tell off"thrashed vs. whippedblunder vs. stumbleWhat does 'break up on re-entry' to Earth mean?What does 'to confuse the issue' mean?What does 'to make an issue' mean?What does this idiom mean: 'out of your mind'? Does it mean 'unsure'?What does 'supreme court' mean?Besides vs. Beside