Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to advance; to encourage; to promote; to assist
subsidize
overwhelm
form
further
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

1:30 p.m it's half past one...

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Meaning of 'create' in BrE | Live and Let live
listening exercisestell a friend
1:30 p.m it's half past one... #1 (permalink) Fri Jan 26, 2007 0:24 am   1:30 p.m it's half past one...

Hey everybody...!

I was just wondering if I can say this "1:30 p.m" hour in another way...For instance, I know you can say "one-thirty" or the one I posted in the topic. Nevertheless, I just want to know if you can say "One and half", I think it sounds weird. So, please help me in this...

PD: In the first line I wrote "the one I posted in the topic", I don't know what it is right, "Post in" or "Post on". Help me out with this too, please!

See you around!
I'm here quite often ;-)

1:30 p.m it's half past one... #2 (permalink) Fri Jan 26, 2007 0:34 am   1:30 p.m it's half past one...

--> one-thirty (you may add "pm" or "am" as applicable)

--> half past one

Those are really the only (civilian) ways to express 1:30.

In the military or police, it's common to use military time: "1330 hours" or "0130 hours"

To them, 1:30pm is "1330 hours" or simply "1330".

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
1:30 p.m it's half past one... #3 (permalink) Fri Jan 26, 2007 0:45 am   1:30 p.m it's half past one...

And, I'd say "posted as the subject" or "posted on the subject/topic line" or "posted in the subject box". :D

Amy

1:30 p.m it's half past one... #4 (permalink) Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:37 am   1:30 p.m it's half past one...

In England they also say "half one", but it's confusing to me as an American, because I never know if they mean 1:30 or 12:30 when they say that.
Jamie (K)
I'm a Communicator ;-)

1:30 p.m it's half past one... #5 (permalink) Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:47 am   1:30 p.m it's half past one...

Jamie (K) wrote:
In England they also say "half one"
There is a similar format in German (halb eins), but the direct translation of the German phrase is an hour different from the British "half one".
I once had British neighbors in Germany and we had constant misunderstandings whenever we tried to make plans. I was never sure what time they were talking about since both "halb eins" and "half one" were foreign to me. :lol:

Meaning of 'create' in BrE | Live and Let live
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
'Patch up' vs 'Patch up for'...k? ... a synonym for 1000?Use simple English: rather by being or accepting to be prudentlyWith his briefcase in his hand, the manager walked : forward referenceHow do you pronounce 'fault'?'We have 3333 registered users.' :) : How do you call this kind of numbers?Problems with Toward and TowardsWhat the two 'ones' stand for in 'It takes one to know one'?percieve vs notice'Black tea' vs 'China tea'Expression: 'feeling of inadequacy'parkplatz ... an English vocable?What does bring it on mean? Is this an idiom or a phrasal verb or both?