clown; joker; fool; ludicrous figure
novice
pseudonym
buffoon
ire

TOEFL® essay: If you could change one important thing about your hometown...

TOEFL® essay: Some businesses observe that people who just finished college... | Are you able to use a spell checker? As a TOEFL® candidate you should be!
TOEFL essay: If you could change one important thing about your hometown... #1 (permalink) Mon Jan 29, 2007 20:19 pm   TOEFL essay: If you could change one important thing about your hometown...

If you could change one important thing about your hometown, what would you change? Use reasons and specific examples to support your answer.

I have been living in my hometown since I was born here. Therefore, as a citizen of the city, I clearly understand what it is in dire of now. Frankly, if possible, I would like to have the performance mechanism of the municipal authority reformed.

First, bureaucratic procedures have caused people too many troubles. The law stipulates a significant number of unreasonable requirements that could hardly be met. Therefore it may take a person months or even years to get a document approved. In particular, some requirements cannot be realized in reality. For example, if you want to buy a house in the city, you should have the permanent residency card first. On the contrary, if you want to apply for a permanent residency card, you must own a house beforehand. So the procedures form a vicious circle. Also, many other ironic things still exist in the administrative system, causing difficulties for people. The citizens have widely complained about these paradoxes for a long time. However, everything is changing slowly. Only when those unnecessary regulations are done away, do people’s lives become more pleasant.

Second, a complex legal system full of paradoxes also results in many evils. Exhausted by the tangled procedures, people ask for help from officers, the informed insiders. Unfortunately, because they are insiders, state officers know how to maneuver the regulations to harass the citizens rather than to help them. If you have a trouble with a procedure, just give the relevant officer an envelope including a reasonable sum of money, then your problem will vanish. Otherwise, you will be told to wait indefinitely or to give absurd documents as provided by the law. This practice has actually become a social evils, producing a number of corrupt cadres. The city’s budget is embezzled, the public works projects are thieved and so on. If everything goes on like this, very soon, the municipal authority will lose the belief of people. New laws should be adopted to strictly punish the corrupt officers and control the performance of others more effectively. Once the mechanism is renovated, people’s lives will be improved. Their taxes will not go into the hands of wrong-doers anymore, the public works will be safer. Hence, needless to say how happy the community will be.

All in all, more than ever before, the municipal authority is in need of a drastic change so that the social order and discipline could be ensured.

TOEFL listening lectures: A university lecture by a professor of Paleontology
Quan11287

Location: Hanoi, Vietnam

ESSAY #2 (permalink) Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:00 am   ESSAY

I have been living in my hometown since I was born here. Therefore, as a citizen of the city, I clearly understand what it is in dire NEED of now. Frankly, if possible, I would like to have the performance mechanism of the municipal authority reformed.

First, bureaucratic procedures have caused people too many troubles. The law stipulates a significant number of unreasonable requirements that could hardly be met. Therefore it may take a person months or even years to get a document approved. In particular, some requirements cannot be realized in reality. For example, if you want to buy a house in the city, you should have the permanent residency card first. On the contrary, if you want to apply for a permanent residency card, you must own a house beforehand. So the procedures form a vicious circle. Also, many other ironic things still exist in the administrative system, causing difficulties for people. The citizens have widely complained about these paradoxes for a long time. However, everything is changing slowly. Only when those unnecessary regulations are done away WITH, do people’s lives become more pleasant.

Second, a complex legal system full of paradoxes also results in many evils. Exhausted by the tangled procedures, people ask for help from officers, the informed insiders. Unfortunately, because they are insiders, state officers know how to maneuver the regulations to harass the citizens rather than to help them. If you have a DIFFICULTY with a procedure, just give the relevant officer an envelope including a reasonable sum of money, then your problem will vanish. Otherwise, you will be told to wait indefinitely or to give absurd documents as REQUIRED by the law. This practice has actually become a social evil, producing a number of corrupt cadres. The city’s budget is embezzled, the public works projects are PLUNDERED ??and so on. If everything goes on like this, very soon, the municipal authority will lose people'S TRUST. New laws should be adopted to strictly punish the corrupt officers and control the performance of others more effectively. Once the mechanism is renovated, people’s lives will be improved. Their taxes will not go into the hands of wrong-doers any more, the public works will be safer. Hence, needless to say how happy the community will be.

A good piece of writing

_________________

TOEFL Prep Tests — Increase your Score with 120 free TOEFL Vocabulary TestsTOEFL Study Guide Guaranteed to Raise TOEFL scores without weeks and months of studying — View the Free ReportTOEFL Test Package — Learn the most difficult TOEFL vocabulary words you need to pass the TOEFL with these vocabulary tests and this unique flash card systemHow many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
TOEFL® essay: In some countries, people are no longer allowed to smoke in many...Toefl® essay: Education is a lifelong task. Do you agree or disagree?TOEFL® essay: Some famous athletes and entertainers earn millions of dollars...TOEFL® sample essay: What are the benefits of mobile phones?TOEFL® essay: Introduction about myself (Your help will be appreciated)TOEFL® essay sample: All student should be required to study art and music...TOEFL® essay samples: What are the characteristics of a good leader?TOEFL® essay sample: Some students prefer to study alone. Others prefer to...TOEFL® essay samples: If you could travel back to some time and place in...old TOEFL® score will be reflected along with the new TOEFL® scoresWhy TOEFL® after GRE®?Do we have to give TOEFL® test after giving IELTS for US universities?TOEFL® essay sample: A company has announced that it wishes to build a large...