to surrender; to admit; to give up; to yield
augment
concede
refute
delete

TOEFL® essay: There are times when lying is acceptable

When people succeed, it is because of hard work. | Left long ago: Which kind of movie do you prefer, serious or entertaining?
There are times when lying is acceptable #1 (permalink) Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:40 am   There are times when lying is acceptable

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement?
There are times when lying is acceptable.

Yes, there are times when lying is acceptable, but only when it's a white lie that is not going to harm anybody. For example, say an acquaintance of yours,someone who is not a close riend, were to ask you about his/her clothes or hairstyle.Even if you felt that the clothes or hair was unfashionable or ugly, you might choose no to say the truth.After all, what is to begained from upsetting someone over something not really important? The same goes for when someone gives you a gift that you don't like, or when you go too someone's house for dinner and hate the food.Other times, in a work situation perhaps, you may realize that by telling the truth about something small you might be putting someone else's job at risk.In such a case, telling a white lie may do more good than harm. I think it is fine to tell a small, harmless lie for a good cause. I do not agree, however, that lying is a good thing to do in general.I just realize that there are those times when lying may be necessary,maybe to spare somebody's feelings or for some other compelling reason.In those cases,lying is more than acceptable.

TOEFL listening lectures: How did Queen Elizabeth acknowledge the English victory?
Lola

essay #2 (permalink) Mon Feb 05, 2007 13:15 pm   essay

Yes, there are times when lying is acceptable, but only when it's a white lie that is not going to harm anybody. For example, say an acquaintance of yours,someone who is not a close Friend, were to ask you about his/her clothes or hairstyle.Even if you felt that the clothes or hair was unfashionable or ugly, you might choose 'no' to say the truth.After all, what is to be gained from upsetting someone over something not really important? The same goes for when someone gives you a gift that you don't like, or when you go TO someone's house for dinner and hate the food.Other times, in a work situation perhaps, you may realize that by telling the truth about something small you might be putting someone else's job at risk.In such a case, telling a white lie may do more good than harm. I think it is fine to tell a small, harmless lie for a good cause. I do not agree, however, that lying is a good thing to do in general.I just realize that there are those times when lying may be necessary,maybe to spare somebody's feelings or for some other compelling reason.In those cases,lying is more than acceptable.

Well done
_________________

TOEFL Prep Tests — Increase your Score with 120 free TOEFL Vocabulary TestsTOEFL Study Guide Guaranteed to Raise TOEFL scores without weeks and months of studying — View the Free ReportTOEFL Test Package — Learn the most difficult TOEFL vocabulary words you need to pass the TOEFL with these vocabulary tests and this unique flash card systemHere is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
check it out #3 (permalink) Tue Jun 17, 2008 22:15 pm   check it out

From when we were small, we were always told that lying is bad and that we should always be honest no matter what happens. However, right now, lying seems to be a way of life. People lie everyday for unimportant things like how someone looks to more serious things like saving a person’s life. Lying is certainly not something good but there are some situations when lying is acceptable and it’s a better decision.

A lie can be acceptable if it is said to avoid hurting someone’s feelings and lower his self-esteem. For example if a girl asks her friend weather or not she looks good in her new outfit, her friend would be justified to lie and say that she does, even though she doesn’t, as she would be lying to avoid hurting her friend’s feelings. Telling a white lie is always acceptable if it is to prevent an unreasonable fight between two friends and avoid hurting someone’s feelings.

In addition, lying can also be acceptable in medical situations in order to encourage a patient and make him fight for his life. If a patient that is ready to be operated asks his doctor if he would be okay, although the chances of survival may be little, it would be acceptable for the doctor to lie and say that everything would be alright as it will encourage the patient to keep fighting for his life. Instead if the doctor had said the truth, the patient would have been discouraged and he wouldn’t be willing to fight for his life anymore which could have had fatal results.

Moreover, telling a lie so as to save a person’s life is again acceptable. For example when in war, people are forced to lie in order to save their lives. In such situations telling the truth would have meant the end of a person’s life and nothing is more important than life so lying is absolutely acceptable as it is done for good.

As a conclusion, I would say that the truth is a good thing, but sometimes it’s not the best one. Being honest is not always the right decision to make because a lie, even if it is a white lie, can sometimes bring better results than the truth would and in such situations lying would absolutely be acceptable.
Marita

TOEFL essay: There are times when lying is acceptable #4 (permalink) Sat Nov 14, 2009 22:05 pm   TOEFL essay: There are times when lying is acceptable

Please correct my essay:

Some people think that they can tell lies in some situations and they have some reasons for this.They tell it white lie.In my point of view there are not any time which telling lies are acceptablle. I have some reasons to support my opinion.
First, many people say that in some situations they can tell lies because its neccessory, but I think telling lies is driven from one thing that is deceiving people. If we tell truth to every one and in every situations what happened? Maybe if we think that by telling the truth it is imposible to achieve our goals. So we think that its better to tell leis. In my opinion if we do all our best in our life we do not need to deceive people to reach our perposes.
Second, many people that beleive there are situations which they can tell lies, its their habit to telling lies in every situations. Telling lie is an attractive habit and contorl of it is very hard to get. Many people say that they just tell lie in some situations but they do not limit themselves to some situations they extend the cases more than a few situation.
At last, it is difficult to distinquish between the times that we can tell lie or we can not. Many people think in the case A, For example, the can tell lie, but other do not agree with them. so we do not have a constant situation that we say in this case we can tell a lie and in that case we can not. By this attitude everybody can tell lie in every situation that they describe for them selves and after that everybody in the society can tell lie.
All in all, I beleive that there is no time when lying is acceptable because it is hard to find in which situation we can tell lie. Also if we tell lie in some situation it will be our habit during times in our live. In addition, if we do not want to decieve people we do not need to tell lies to them.
Sina

What is one important change about your hometown?What are the qualities of a good neighbor?Looking for a job or try to do something oneselfFeedback required on essayI would be so grateful if someone correct essay. Luck vs. hard workIt is better to marry someone who is similar to you, rather than someone who...Some people believe that the Earth is being harmed by human activity...TOEFL® essay: Agree or disagree with a new shopping mallTOEFL® essay: The most appealling changeTOEFL® essay: Spend time with 1/2 friend or many friends?An essay a day: Why modern people live longer?Is there anyone who will take TOEFL® test on the december?Which is more important, students' sport activities or libraries...