clear; distinct; expressed with clarity; skillful with words
diverting
articulate
adverse
impervious

TOEFL® essay: How do movies or television influence people’s behavior?

Help! It's my first post | Please chek my essay, it's my first time. Thanks a lot.
TOEFL essay: How do movies or television influence people’s behavior? #1 (permalink) Sat Feb 03, 2007 17:43 pm   TOEFL essay: How do movies or television influence people’s behavior?

How do movies or television influence people’s behavior? Use reasons and specific examples to support your answer.

Nowadays, television has become the most popular type of communication and entertainment. Because of its popularity, television clearly has a far-reaching effect on human life, in particular, on people’s behavior.

On the one hand, television provides people with many undeniable advantages. With a TV, you can easily gain numerous knowledge in every areas. If you want to get some information about the current situation in Iraq, just turn on your TV and open CNN or BBC channels. You are a student ? You want to be well-prepared for the coming entrance exam to university ? Please pick up the remote control and switch to the educational channel.

Furthermore, through programs on TV, people can learn many practical skills to communicate with each other. The TV programs often simulate cases happening in all aspects of real life. Therefore, people can draw their own lessons from those cases. For example, from movies shown on TV, people could come to know how to behave in certain cases and then, apply into their real lives to solve their own issues. Also, TV brings about a huge source of entertainment, making people’s lives more pleasant. After a long working-day, tired from all stuff you’ve done, you only need to stay at home, lying on the sofa to enjoy interesting films of all kinds, from action films, horror films to romantic films and so on. This helps you feel at ease and escape from your tensions. In general, TV has clearly become an essential part in human modern life.

On the other hand, TV also brings with it serious problems. Watching TV could lead to a number of health issues. For instance, in developed countries where TV is popular, many children acquire obesity because of watching TV too much without exercises. As a consequence, it leads to laziness and health deterioration. In addition, not only could TV harm people physically but it could also impact on people mentally in many cases. More and more violent behaviors are shown on TV today. As a result, they become persist obsessions in people’s mental and gradually lead them to violence in real life. Especially, young people’s fledgling brains are vulnerable to these stimuli. Many young criminals are found to commit crimes due to the fact that they simply imitate what they have seen on the screen. In short, if ignored, TV impact would result in long-lasting and head-achy problems in society.

All in all, like a double-edged knife, TV brings about both advantages and disadvantages. What people need to do is to make use of its positive things and to restrain its negative ones as much as possible.

TOEFL listening lectures: A university lecture by a professor of Comparative Religion
Quan11287

Location: Hanoi, Vietnam

ESSAY #2 (permalink) Fri Feb 09, 2007 19:09 pm   ESSAY

HI,

On the one hand, television provides people with many undeniable advantages. With a TV, you can easily gain EXTENSIVE knowledge in ALL areas. If you want to get some information about the current situation in Iraq, just turn on your TV and open CNN or BBC channels. You are a student ? You want to be well-prepared for the coming entrance exam to university ? Please pick up the remote control and switch to the educational channel.

Furthermore, through programs on TV, people can learn many practical skills to communicate with each other. The TV programs often simulate cases happening in all aspects of real life. Therefore, people can draw their own lessons from those cases. For example, from movies shown on TV, people could come to know how to behave in certain cases and then, apply THAT in their real lives to solve their own issues. Also, TV brings about a huge source of entertainment, making people’s lives more pleasant. After a long working-day, tired from all THE stuff you’ve done, you only need to stay at home, lying on the sofa to enjoy interesting films of all kinds, from action films, horror films to romantic films and so on. This helps you feel at ease and escape from your tensions. In general, TV has clearly become an essential part in human modern life.

On the other hand, TV also brings with it serious problems. Watching TV could lead to a number of health issues. For instance, in developed countries where TV is popular, many children acquire obesity because of watching TV too much without exercises. As a consequence, it leads to laziness and health deterioration. In addition, not only could TV harm people physically but it could also impact on people mentally in many cases. More and more violent behavior IS shown on TV today. As a result, they become persistENT obsessions in people’s mental and gradually lead them to violence in real life. Especially, young people’s fledgling brains are vulnerable to these stimuli. Many young criminals are found to commit crimes due to the fact that they simply imitate what they have seen on the screen. In short, if ignored, THE impact OF TV would result in long-lasting and PAINFUL problems in society.

_________________

TOEFL Prep Tests — Increase your Score with 120 free TOEFL Vocabulary TestsTOEFL Study Guide Guaranteed to Raise TOEFL scores without weeks and months of studying — View the Free ReportTOEFL Test Package — Learn the most difficult TOEFL vocabulary words you need to pass the TOEFL with these vocabulary tests and this unique flash card systemHow many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
TOEFL essay: How do movies or television influence people’s behavior? #3 (permalink) Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:08 am   TOEFL essay: How do movies or television influence people’s behavior?

It is a homework assignment for school so it's not exactly a TOEFL essay anyway it has the same topic :)

In contemporary world technologies have a huge and still growing impact. I believe that appliances such as the television technology change our life and more specifically our behaviour. Recently mass media appeared also with its ideal shows and idols on screen.

Being a profitable business television develops but also the rivalry increase either. These facts bring about the mass media to appear. Also known as the Fourth Estate because of its effects to the people understanding which at last rectify our behaviour according to a purpose previously set by mass media. For example, if an advertisement for Sri Lanka shows only dirty beaches, overfilled litters and old buildings and we believe what we see on screen, we would not like to go there which is a change in our attitude. Another object of mass media could be to change our appreciation for something. For instance, recently there was news about a hurricane in China. It was represented with eradicated buildings and statistics of sixty thousand injured and twenty thousand dead. No matter this might be far from the truth we think that this is the reality there so again we put ourselves under the affections of the Fourth Estate.

Another part of the mass media produces ideal shows and displays our idols on screen. First, ideal shows are those which many people watch and become addicted to so after that they start forming their timetable in relation to what time their favourite show is broadcasted. Second, nowadays everyone has an idol figure which try to follow or imitate. This figure is usually someone who is often presented on TV. Because there their lifestyles are shown as gorgeous one which everyone would be eager to have. Moreover, watching about what is new in our idols’ lives is actually taking our time once. But doing the same things as our idol figure is taking our time for second time.

Unfortunately the impact of television on our ways of life is inevitable. Because it is still the device most people inform themselves from and the one which broadcasts ideal shows and idols to whom people are addicted to. (355 words)

Note: I'd written my essay before I saw the material above.

Thank you in advance!
Valsotevs

Location: Bulgaria

How do movies or television influence people’s behavior? Use reasons and specific #4 (permalink) Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:42 am   How do movies or television influence people’s behavior? Use reasons and specific

Hello! My name is Delia and I want to take the Toefel test IBT in february 2011. Here is a essey that I wrote. What i would like to know is if I answered corectly to the task. Thank you!

Nowadays people give importance to television. Through television people get informed with news around the world. Standing in front of the TV became a way of relaxing after a hard day at work. In my opinion these is not good. It is known that mass media can control people’s mind, and opinions. Not everything that it is seen on TV is true.

To begin with, from television we hear a lot of information, but it is up to us to sort it. Not everything that we hear and see is true. There are a lot of lies. For example, in the last couple of months it has been related that the end of the world is close. It is said that in 2012 the Apocalypse will be here. And there are related a lot of ways of how this it will happen. How we will die. These information had scared a lot of people. Due to that, persons not so brave, decided to take their life before the Apocalypse came.

Secondly, parents these days have to work not only at their office but at home too. This is why, when they need some quiet moments, let their children in front of TV. It is true that, usually, the TV is turned on, on cartoons. In fact cartoons are not so inoffensive as we thought. The famous Disney cartoons are not so loved as they used to be. Donald Duck, Mickey Mouse and all of their friends, became history. Now they are replaced with Bakugan, Superman, Spiderman and other shows where people fight. Are mad on each other, and they never reconcile. It is true that Tom and Jerry were always fighting, but in the same time the show was amusing. Therefore these new type of cartoons children start to fight with other children. This will influence the behavior of youngsters for all their life.
To conclude, TV is not good for everyone. We must not let television to lead us! He have to be the leader. The one that chooses what is true and what is not, for what to bend our ear, and for what not.
Deliaceanga

TOEFL essay: How do movies or television influence people’s behavior? #5 (permalink) Mon Dec 27, 2010 13:27 pm   TOEFL essay: How do movies or television influence people’s behavior?

Delia, you must create your own topic by pressing the tab " New topic" at the top-left of the thread, then post your essay there. Otherwise it will be ignored.

Best regards,
Richard-Kitos'henchman team ;)
_________________
I'll be back. I'll miss you guys so much... See you soon...
NguyenTrg

I need some help in the writing essay #6 (permalink) Mon Sep 12, 2011 13:25 pm   I need some help in the writing essay

Hallo, My name is Amira. I will do my toefl test on november 2011 and i find some difficults in the writing essay.
Can I write some writing topics and somebody correct it to my? If yes, please tell me where can I write this topics.
Amira6

Kindly check my essay, I will be thankful to you, thanks in advance.Roles of international sport eventsHappiness-Please check my writing and help me improve it!Another TOEFL® essay of mine :) please rate it. Thanks a lot :)some CAE essaysPlease check it, thanks a lot, :)2 Months - Score Boosting Programswould you please read my essay? thanks a lotToefl® essay. Please help me assess it. Thanks a lot :)How can i corrected my essays ?Should the charity organizations contribute to their own country or others?There is nothing that an uneducated person can teach an educated personTOEFL® preparation