Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to throw; to project; to form; to shape
accommodate
insult
loan
cast
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Haircut: 'chili-bowl', 'pudding-basin', 'pot', what else?

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
'to anyone who...' vs 'to everyone who...' | Phrase: Parallel to the pectators' bleachers
listening exercisestell a friend
Haircut: 'chili-bowl', 'pudding-basin', 'pot', what else? #1 (permalink) Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:53 pm   Haircut: 'chili-bowl', 'pudding-basin', 'pot', what else?

Hi

The reason why I ask is the sentence ‘That time he had a pudding-basin haircut’.

In Russian it is traditionally called just pot haircut.

Wikipedia (Bowl cut) also adds beach cut and mushroom cut (that I’ve never heard of), but doesn’t ever mention 'pudding-basin'.

How do you call the cut now, when 'pudding basin' became rather out-of-date thing and people can afford himself/herself to visit a stylish barber, at least sometimes?

Or, maybe, 'pudding-basin' is just used to specially underline 'simplicity' and… 'non-U'-ness (can I say so?)

Haircut: 'chili-bowl', 'pudding-basin', 'pot', what else? #2 (permalink) Sun Feb 04, 2007 14:20 pm   Haircut: 'chili-bowl', 'pudding-basin', 'pot', what else?

Hi,

'Pudding basin' haircut still obtains. And if you have one, you feel a right pudding!

A
Co-founder
Alan Townend

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Haircut: 'chili-bowl', 'pudding-basin', 'pot', what else? #3 (permalink) Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:10 am   Haircut: 'chili-bowl', 'pudding-basin', 'pot', what else?

:)

'to anyone who...' vs 'to everyone who...' | Phrase: Parallel to the pectators' bleachers
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
In (the) line(s) vs. On (the) line(s)meaning of address?meaning of thudmeaning of 'chirp'meaning of floppilyWho is Tim Sebastian of Hard Talk on BBC?meaning of a paragraphdifference between capable and ablephrase 'I can't get over'Is 'outplacement' used in English?'it is belonged' vs. 'it belongs to'?meaning of "man's candour"Differ in meaning: Suffocate, Strangle, Throttle, Smother, Asphyxiate