to pierce through with; to stick on; to pin down; to stab
admonish
abandon
impeach
impale

TOEFL® sample essay: What are the benefits of mobile phones?

TOEFL® essay samples: What are the characteristics of a good leader? | TOEFL® essay sample: All student should be required to study art and music...
TOEFL sample essay: What are the benefits of mobile phones? #1 (permalink) Wed Feb 07, 2007 0:48 am   TOEFL sample essay: What are the benefits of mobile phones?

"There are social, medical and technical problems associated with the use of mobile phones. What forms do they take? Do you agree that the problems outweigh the benefits of mobile phones?"

Nowadays mobile phones are literally invading our lives; from children to elderly, almost everybody owns one. Some people take their own device everywhere with them and can not bear staying without it. It has eventually become a common habit to be on the phone in every situation, no matter with whom you might be and in which occasion, your loyal “friend” is always with you, ready to ring and make you happy.

This might in some extreme cases affect relationships people, because it is alienating for people and their acquaintances. Women and men in couples might feel pulled apart by their partners who love to be on the phone and have a chat once in a while; just, sometimes, this “while” might last hours. Children might feel abandoned by their parents who might find more interesting and less stressing having a talk on the phone than staying with their kids, playing with them, explaining them things.

Furthermore, mobiles have been told to be cause of diseases related to the radio waves they emanate: these illnesses are in many cases fatal and incurable. Many scientific studies have proved that the more one is on the phone the likelier is that he is going to contract a disease related to the warming up of the part of the body exposed to the waves, that is the head.

On top of that, these waves are usually disturbing other devices that are as much useful, if not more, than the mobiles themselves, like, for example, radio stations, TVs, loud speakers and so on - the list is endless.

Despite of all of these negative aspects, I still think mobiles are of great use for our society, where we need to exchange information faster day by day and where keeping in touch with the others is vital for all of us. A wiser utilize of these precious devices might solve many problems without having to get rid of our “friend”, even though keeping it switched off, sometimes, might make our lives more interesting, for us and for the others.

THANKS IN ADVANCE,

Davide

TOEFL listening discussions: Why is the man taking this course?
Dadimo

ESSAY #2 (permalink) Sat Feb 10, 2007 15:34 pm   ESSAY

HI,

Nowadays mobile phones are literally invading our lives; from children to THE elderly, almost everybody owns one. Some people take their own device everywhere with them and cannot bear BEING without it. It has eventually become a common habit to be on the phone in every situation, no matter with whom you might be and in which occasion, your loyal “friend” is always with you, ready to ring and make you happy.

This might in some extreme cases affect relationships WITH people, because it is alienating for people and their acquaintances. Women and men in couples might feel pulled apart by their partners who love to be on the phone and have a chat once in a while; just, sometimes, this “while” might last hours. Children might feel abandoned by their parents who might find more interesting and less stressing having a talk on the phone than staying with their kids, playing with them, explaining them things.

Furthermore, mobiles have been told to be THE cause of diseases related to the radio waves they emanate: these illnesses are in many cases fatal and incurable. Many scientific studies have proved that the more YOU ARE on the phone the likelier IT is that YOU ARE going to contract a disease related to the warming up of the part of the body exposed to the waves, that is the head.

On top of that, these waves are usually disturbing other devices that are as useful, if not more, than the mobiles themselves, like, for example, radio stations, TVs, loud speakers and so on - the list is endless.

Despite all of these negative aspects, I still think mobiles are of great use for our society, where we need to exchange information faster day by day and where keeping in touch with others is vital for all of us. A wiser USE of these precious devices might solve many problems without having to get rid of our “friend”, even though keeping it switched off, sometimes, might make our lives more interesting, for us and for others.

_________________

TOEFL Prep Tests — Increase your Score with 120 free TOEFL Vocabulary TestsTOEFL Study Guide Guaranteed to Raise TOEFL scores without weeks and months of studying — View the Free ReportTOEFL Test Package — Learn the most difficult TOEFL vocabulary words you need to pass the TOEFL with these vocabulary tests and this unique flash card systemHere is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
TOEFL® essay samples: Our declining environment may bring the people of the worldTOEFL® essay sample: Do you agree or disagree that progress is always good?TOEFL® essay samples: Traffic jams are now a major problem in most citiesTOEFL® essay: Universities should give the same amount of money to their studentsToefl® Essays: Parents ate the best teachersTOEFL® essay: In some countries, people are no longer allowed to smoke in many...Toefl® essay: Education is a lifelong task. Do you agree or disagree?TOEFL® essay: Some famous athletes and entertainers earn millions of dollars...TOEFL® essay: Introduction about myself (Your help will be appreciated)Are you able to use a spell checker? As a TOEFL® candidate you should be!TOEFL® essay sample: Some students prefer to study alone. Others prefer to...TOEFL® essay samples: If you could travel back to some time and place in...TOEFL® essay: If you could change one important thing about your hometown...