pertaining to accommodations; domesticated
house
lasting
opposite
close

What does "-gate" mean when it is added to a word?

Diggety vs. ziggety | Difference between Small letters and capital letters
What does "-gate" mean when it is added to a word? #1 (permalink) Thu Feb 08, 2007 17:15 pm   What does "-gate" mean when it is added to a word?

Dear teachers, what does "-gate" mean when it is added to a word? Last year, one of the chess players accused the other one of using computer in... toilet to cheat him at the world chess championship. The story was labelled as "toiletgate". What does this word mean?

Thank you in advance.
_________________
Learning is a sacred engagement.
Ahmadov

Location: Azerbaijan

What does "-gate" mean when it is added to a word? #2 (permalink) Thu Feb 08, 2007 18:36 pm   What does "-gate" mean when it is added to a word?

In the United States, Watergate (early-mid 1970s) was a major political scandal.

Now, whenever there's a possible scandal (or in some cases, at least) people and/or the media will add -gate to it to make obvious the idea that it's seen as scandalous.

If I stole my friend's sandwich, for instance, someone might refer to that as "Sandwichgate".

hehe

To answer your question, then:

Adding "-gate" to the end of a word is meant to convey the perceived presence of scandalous activity.
_________________
Billie Jean is not my lover. Hee.
Prezbucky

Location: Nashville, TN (USA)

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
What does "-gate" mean when it is added to a word? #3 (permalink) Thu Feb 08, 2007 18:39 pm   What does "-gate" mean when it is added to a word?

On the other hand, "-gate" probably is also present in the names of many shops/shopping malls.

hehe

Eastgate Mall, for instance (I'd bet there is a mall somewhere called Eastgate Mall), would fit the scenario.

In such cases, "gate" is meant to convey its literal meaning: opening/doorway/passageway.
_________________
Billie Jean is not my lover. Hee.
Prezbucky

Location: Nashville, TN (USA)

What does "-gate" mean when it is added to a word? #4 (permalink) Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:01 am   What does "-gate" mean when it is added to a word?

prezbucky, thanks a lot for this valuable information.
By the way, what "hehe" mean...:)
_________________
Learning is a sacred engagement.
Ahmadov

Location: Azerbaijan

What does "-gate" mean when it is added to a word? #5 (permalink) Sat Feb 10, 2007 17:37 pm   What does "-gate" mean when it is added to a word?

"Watergate" was the name of the apartment building where the political scandal began, so this suffix -gate comes from exactly the type of name that Prezbucky is describing.

Ahmadov, "he he" is the same thing as Russian "xa xa!"

What does "-gate" mean when it is added to a word? #6 (permalink) Sat Feb 10, 2007 19:22 pm   What does "-gate" mean when it is added to a word?

"he he" is the same thing as Russian "xa xa!"

By the way, in Russian хе-хе (he-he) is also an ironic snicker. It's not equal to ха-ха (ha-ha) or хи-хи (hi-hi).
In Russian it (he-he) sounds much more… self-complacent, I’d say. :)
_________________
It’s impossible to learn swimming without entering the water…
Tamara

What does "-gate" mean when it is added to a word? #7 (permalink) Sun Feb 11, 2007 13:14 pm   What does "-gate" mean when it is added to a word?

Thanks Jamie, I was just joking because Prezbucky puts it everywhere.
_________________
Learning is a sacred engagement.
Ahmadov

Location: Azerbaijan

always replace with sometimesI went there three times vs. I've been there three timesIs it impossible to learn swimming without entering the water?Grammar: a word for the place where coffee beans growmeaning of 'remotely approaching reality'Don't be too too late?Carry it on OR Carry on it?Use of Genitive: "Tom's brother's car"meaning of "Manly men"meaning of 'piled high'Expression: Around/about the houseStop the music!/the presses!Words color, honor: American English vs. British English