Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

pertaining to accommodations; domesticated
house
lasting
opposite
close
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

What does "-gate" mean when it is added to a word?

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Diggety vs. ziggety | Difference between Small letters and capital letters
listening exercisestell a friend
What does "-gate" mean when it is added to a word? #1 (permalink) Thu Feb 08, 2007 17:15 pm   What does "-gate" mean when it is added to a word?

Dear teachers, what does "-gate" mean when it is added to a word? Last year, one of the chess players accused the other one of using computer in... toilet to cheat him at the world chess championship. The story was labelled as "toiletgate". What does this word mean?

Thank you in advance.

What does "-gate" mean when it is added to a word? #2 (permalink) Thu Feb 08, 2007 18:36 pm   What does "-gate" mean when it is added to a word?

In the United States, Watergate (early-mid 1970s) was a major political scandal.

Now, whenever there's a possible scandal (or in some cases, at least) people and/or the media will add -gate to it to make obvious the idea that it's seen as scandalous.

If I stole my friend's sandwich, for instance, someone might refer to that as "Sandwichgate".

hehe

To answer your question, then:

Adding "-gate" to the end of a word is meant to convey the perceived presence of scandalous activity.

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
What does "-gate" mean when it is added to a word? #3 (permalink) Thu Feb 08, 2007 18:39 pm   What does "-gate" mean when it is added to a word?

On the other hand, "-gate" probably is also present in the names of many shops/shopping malls.

hehe

Eastgate Mall, for instance (I'd bet there is a mall somewhere called Eastgate Mall), would fit the scenario.

In such cases, "gate" is meant to convey its literal meaning: opening/doorway/passageway.

What does "-gate" mean when it is added to a word? #4 (permalink) Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:01 am   What does "-gate" mean when it is added to a word?

prezbucky, thanks a lot for this valuable information.
By the way, what "hehe" mean...:)

What does "-gate" mean when it is added to a word? #5 (permalink) Sat Feb 10, 2007 17:37 pm   What does "-gate" mean when it is added to a word?

"Watergate" was the name of the apartment building where the political scandal began, so this suffix -gate comes from exactly the type of name that Prezbucky is describing.

Ahmadov, "he he" is the same thing as Russian "xa xa!"
Jamie (K)
I'm a Communicator ;-)

What does "-gate" mean when it is added to a word? #6 (permalink) Sat Feb 10, 2007 19:22 pm   What does "-gate" mean when it is added to a word?

Quote:
"he he" is the same thing as Russian "xa xa!"

By the way, in Russian хе-хе (he-he) is also an ironic snicker. It's not equal to ха-ха (ha-ha) or хи-хи (hi-hi).
In Russian it (he-he) sounds much more… self-complacent, I’d say. :)

What does "-gate" mean when it is added to a word? #7 (permalink) Sun Feb 11, 2007 13:14 pm   What does "-gate" mean when it is added to a word?

Thanks Jamie, I was just joking because Prezbucky puts it everywhere.

Diggety vs. ziggety | Difference between Small letters and capital letters
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
always replace with sometimesI went there three times vs. I've been there three timesIs it impossible to learn swimming without entering the water?Grammar: a word for the place where coffee beans growmeaning of 'remotely approaching reality'Don't be too too late?Carry it on OR Carry on it?Use of Genitive: "Tom's brother's car"meaning of "Manly men"meaning of 'piled high'Expression: Around/about the houseStop the music!/the presses!Words color, honor: American English vs. British English