to be short of; to be without; to be missing; to need; to want
career
lack
audit
achieve

Difference between Small letters and capital letters

What does "-gate" mean when it is added to a word? | Carry it on OR Carry on it?
Difference between Small letters and capital letters #1 (permalink) Sun Feb 11, 2007 13:09 pm   Difference between Small letters and capital letters

What is the difference between Capital letters and small letters. Why there are two kinds of alphabet in English. Why the personal pronoune "I" is always written in capital letter.

Nowroozalisabiti

Location: Kabul, Afghanistan

Difference between Small letters and capital letters #2 (permalink) Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:37 am   Difference between Small letters and capital letters

Hi nowroozalisabiti,

This link(provided by our moderator Amy)seems rather interesting:

why 'I' is capitalised?
Pamela

Location: RF

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Difference between Small letters and capital letters #3 (permalink) Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:59 am   Difference between Small letters and capital letters

nowroozalisabiti wrote:

In my classes I find that small and capital letters are a big torment for people whose native language is written in the Arabic alphabet.

Capital letters serve several purposes in English. One of the main purposes is that they help us see when a new sentence starts. They also help us see when a word is a name, instead of just an ordinary noun. They can also often help us see when a string of words is the title of a movie or book, and not just a regular sentence. These aren't all the purposes of capitalization, but just some of them. I think you'll see its other advantages as your English progresses.

I don't know why the pronoun "I" is always capitalized. Maybe it's because the lower-case letter is so small and skinny.

always replace with sometimesI went there three times vs. I've been there three timesIs it impossible to learn swimming without entering the water?Grammar: a word for the place where coffee beans growmeaning of 'remotely approaching reality'Don't be too too late?meaning of pitch-dark, brief whirl-windUse of Genitive: "Tom's brother's car"meaning of "Manly men"meaning of 'piled high'Expression: Around/about the houseStop the music!/the presses!Words color, honor: American English vs. British English