Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to be short of; to be without; to be missing; to need; to want
career
lack
audit
achieve
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Difference between Small letters and capital letters

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
What does "-gate" mean when it is added to a word? | Carry it on OR Carry on it?
listening exercisestell a friend
Difference between Small letters and capital letters #1 (permalink) Sun Feb 11, 2007 13:09 pm   Difference between Small letters and capital letters

Hello,

What is the difference between Capital letters and small letters. Why there are two kinds of alphabet in English. Why the personal pronoune "I" is always written in capital letter.

Thanks
Nowroozalisabiti

Difference between Small letters and capital letters #2 (permalink) Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:37 am   Difference between Small letters and capital letters

Hi nowroozalisabiti,

This link(provided by our moderator Amy)seems rather interesting:

why 'I' is capitalised?
Pamela
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Difference between Small letters and capital letters #3 (permalink) Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:59 am   Difference between Small letters and capital letters

nowroozalisabiti wrote:
What is the difference between Capital letters and small letters. Why there are two kinds of alphabet in English. Why the personal pronoune "I" is always written in capital letter.

In my classes I find that small and capital letters are a big torment for people whose native language is written in the Arabic alphabet.

Capital letters serve several purposes in English. One of the main purposes is that they help us see when a new sentence starts. They also help us see when a word is a name, instead of just an ordinary noun. They can also often help us see when a string of words is the title of a movie or book, and not just a regular sentence. These aren't all the purposes of capitalization, but just some of them. I think you'll see its other advantages as your English progresses.

I don't know why the pronoun "I" is always capitalized. Maybe it's because the lower-case letter is so small and skinny.
Jamie (K)
I'm a Communicator ;-)

What does "-gate" mean when it is added to a word? | Carry it on OR Carry on it?
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
always replace with sometimesI went there three times vs. I've been there three timesIs it impossible to learn swimming without entering the water?Grammar: a word for the place where coffee beans growmeaning of 'remotely approaching reality'Don't be too too late?meaning of pitch-dark, brief whirl-windUse of Genitive: "Tom's brother's car"meaning of "Manly men"meaning of 'piled high'Expression: Around/about the houseStop the music!/the presses!Words color, honor: American English vs. British English