to demand; to emphasize firmly; to request firmly; to require; to persevere
queues
preserve
trash
insist

How can I express my ideas and improve my pronunciation?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

ESL Forums | Listening, speaking, pronunciation and accent training
Is it really difficult to speak English? (There are millions of people around...) | My first recorded message
How can I express my ideas and improve my pronunciation? #16 (permalink) Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:29 am   How can I express my ideas and improve my pronunciation?

Torsten wrote:
Can you distinguish between different English accents? Are you able to reproduce all the sounds of the English language?

Torsten,
I can distinguish BrE, AmE, Indian accent and Chinese accent since I get to them every day. As for other accents, to be honest I can't.
I am not sure whether I can reproduce all the sounds of English, especially vowels such as 'e' and 'ai'. They always make me confused when a native English speaker speaks fast to me.
Bennie

Location: Hangzhou, China

How can I express my ideas and improve my pronunciation? #17 (permalink) Mon Feb 26, 2007 23:14 pm   How can I express my ideas and improve my pronunciation?

Hi Bennie,

Do you have access to CNN or any other TV Channel that provides you with a great variety of different English accents? What about audio books, how often do you listen to them?
When you say you get confused by different vowels, do you mean you can't distinguish between them when you are listening to somebody or when you are speaking yourself?

TOEIC listening, talks: Job candidate is explaining why company should should hire him

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
How can I express my ideas and improve my pronunciation? #18 (permalink) Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:10 am   How can I express my ideas and improve my pronunciation?

Englishuser wrote:
I am very pleased to offer you a link suggestion: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/routesofenglish/storysofar/posh.shtml .

Just listen to the voice clips there and make your conclusions.

Englishuser

EU, I am sorry that I couldn't open the voice clips on my computer, but I heard of URP. In fact it sounds very powerful.
By the way, I am reading "The Story of English" written by Robert McCrum, William Cran and Robert MacNeil. It discuesses various English pronunciation a lot.
Bennie

Location: Hangzhou, China

How can I express my ideas and improve my pronunciation? #19 (permalink) Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:00 am   How can I express my ideas and improve my pronunciation?

Hi Bennie,

Do you have RealPlayer? You nead to have RealPlayer installed on your computer in order to take advantage of the voice clips. You can download a version of RealPlayer free of charge on the Net if you like.

I don't think I have read
The Story of English, but it sounds very interesting and I will try to get hold of it.

Englishuser
Englishuser

How can I express my ideas and improve my pronunciation? #20 (permalink) Tue Feb 27, 2007 14:04 pm   How can I express my ideas and improve my pronunciation?

Hi EU,
Indeed I have one, but it can't play the voice clips.
In addition, Media Player can't play them either.
Thank you anyway.
Bennie

Location: Hangzhou, China

How can I express my ideas and improve my pronunciation? #21 (permalink) Tue Feb 27, 2007 14:09 pm   How can I express my ideas and improve my pronunciation?

Hi Bennie,

Perhaps you could ask someone familiar with RealPlayer if they could help you?

Englishuser
Englishuser

How can I express my ideas and improve my pronunciation? #22 (permalink) Wed Feb 04, 2009 23:26 pm   How can I express my ideas and improve my pronunciation?

Hi Bennie..

When I try to open the suggested link, the radio portal of bbc opened and a small ram file got downloaded. but the message in that ram file was ''sorry..we could not bring the program you have requested..''

any more suggestion..?

..
_________________
Sahid59

Better tomorrow with better English
Sahid59

Location: Chennai, South India

How can I express my ideas and improve my pronunciation? #23 (permalink) Wed Feb 04, 2009 23:35 pm   How can I express my ideas and improve my pronunciation?

Dear Englishuser..

When I looked down the webpage http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/routesofenglish/storysofar/posh.shtml there were many other sound files..I downloaded all and listened to them for a variety of English accents..

_________________
Sahid59

Better tomorrow with better English
Sahid59

Location: Chennai, South India

How can I express my ideas and improve my pronunciation? #24 (permalink) Tue Feb 10, 2009 22:53 pm   How can I express my ideas and improve my pronunciation?

I have observed a very strange thing with my pronunciation. If I murmur the words or sentences, I feel I am pronouncing it far better (not far away from what I listen on BBC) than when I actually speak. I don't use English in everyday life and people around me don't have close-to-native pronunciation skills. I listen to BBC regularly, but that affects the pronunciation to certain level only. Where and how could I focus for improvement?
_________________
First lesson - English, not english. I, not i. ~A student of English
Gray

Location: Proxima Centauri

How can I express my ideas and improve my pronunciation? #25 (permalink) Tue Feb 17, 2009 13:22 pm   How can I express my ideas and improve my pronunciation?

I do find it difficult sometimes, search for words when talking to people. How could that be improved?
Nikz_Ishere

Location: USA India

How can I express my ideas and improve my pronunciation? #26 (permalink) Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:00 am   How can I express my ideas and improve my pronunciation?

To improve pronunciation: Listening is the key for improving pronunciation, it will make to pronounce better and it will help your fluency in speaking, it will help you for better writing. So Listening < Speaking < Writing = TOEIC LISTENING EXERCISES PRACTICE.

Why don't you try my ideas for improving pronunciation.

Wish you Good Luck

S.Shanthi
Success will not come to us, unless we make an effort for that..
Shanthisethuraman

ESL Forums | Listening, speaking, pronunciation and accent training All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
HI Luchan,could you please correct my speech also?HI Luchan,could you please correct my speech also?could you please correct and score my speechplease correct and score my toeflŪ ibt speakingplease score and correct my speech.Could u please (Torsten or Beeesnees)correct and score my speech.please correct and score my toeflŪ ibt speakingoften vegetables and comfortable. pronunciation.Exam on this weekend.How do you save your speaking response in actual TOEFLŪ iBT?First messagequestion about the listening passage 3Hi Luschen,Please grade my speaking responsePlease grade my first speaking response in forum(Laboratory Microscope)