to expel a tenant by legal process; to turn out
ascertain
sight
attribute
evict

What kind of food can be prepared in a microwave?

Invisible things that you miss abroad | What makes you put a book back on the shelf?
What kind of food can be prepared in a microwave? #1 (permalink) Sat Feb 24, 2007 20:48 pm   What kind of food can be prepared in a microwave?

I wonder what kind of food can be prepared using a microwave? Also, it would be great if you could specify the meals that can not be prepared in the microwave. Finally, of high importance is the list of stuff that should never, under no circumstances appear inside the device!

Can you help me?
_________________
my game is fair play
Aereal

Location: England (the new one)

What kind of food can be prepared in a microwave? #2 (permalink) Sat Feb 24, 2007 22:54 pm   What kind of food can be prepared in a microwave?

Hi aereal

The very first thing I ever attempted to do with a microwave (about 20 years ago) was to bake a potato. Having never had or used a microwave oven before that, I had no idea how long it might take to "zap" a potato -- I only knew that it was supposed to be much faster. Needless to say, I over-estimated the length of time required. The potato exploded and the innards ended up -- in varying degrees of disintegration -- all over the inside of my brand new microwave. :lol:

Nowadays, I do use the microwave to bake potatoes sometimes. I also use it to thaw and heat frozen vegetables and to thaw frozen meats. But, I don't like actually cooking meat that way. Microwaves are great for making popcorn and heating most any type of liquid. They're terrible for baking cakes and bread -- at least I've never had much luck with those sorts of things.

Have you ever had one, aereal? What's your story?

_________________

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
What kind of food can be prepared in a microwave? #3 (permalink) Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:47 am   What kind of food can be prepared in a microwave?

Hiya,
In fact we have different customs. We like to eat fried foods(It would be very dangerous to use a microwave for heating fried meals), better to use pans or other pots.
I tried to use my microwave to bake spicy chicken wings, you have to turn them over and over for not to burn all(a little troublesome). Anyway it tasted not bad, but I think an oven must be better than a microwave if you want to make nice foods.
You are the chef! :wink:
FangFang

What kind of food can be prepared in a microwave? #4 (permalink) Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:52 am   What kind of food can be prepared in a microwave?

Yankee wrote:

Hi Amy,

My story is right at its beginning and that's the reason I asked this question - to avoid all possible complications!

I'm searching for housing near my university and many landlords offer a "microwave". Others write "free access to kitchen" in their proposals. So I want to figure out what menu can one expect :)
Is it possible to prepare any kind of soup in the microwave?
_________________
my game is fair play
Aereal

Location: England (the new one)

What kind of food can be prepared in a microwave? #5 (permalink) Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:55 am   What kind of food can be prepared in a microwave?

FangFang wrote:
I tried to use my microwave to bake spicy chicken wings, you have to turn them over and over for not to burn all(a little troublesome).

I though microwave heated the food uniformly within its volume - do you still need turn anything over though?
_________________
my game is fair play
Aereal

Location: England (the new one)

What kind of food can be prepared in a microwave? #6 (permalink) Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:42 am   What kind of food can be prepared in a microwave?

aereal wrote:
Hi Amy,

aereal,

I usually use my microwave to re-heat my food and switch it to oven mode to bake cakes. I don't like the idea of having to take the bowl out and in again(my microwave is put on a high cabinet and I'm vertically challenged :) )

But,I think if you want to do your cooking in the microwave you would need a manual in terms of how long to cook one ingredient and when to put in another one.You can find recipes on the internet for 'microwave cooking'.Here's one link:

http://www.microwavecookingforone.com/MoreRecipes/
NinaZara

Location: Malaysia (Cat city)

What kind of food can be prepared in a microwave? #7 (permalink) Wed Feb 28, 2007 16:23 pm   What kind of food can be prepared in a microwave?

Good:

- instant oatmeal/Malto Meal/Cream of Wheat (etc.)
- leftover spaghetti/pasta (dries it out just a bit, which I like)
- hot dogs/bratwurst (etc.)

Bad:

- leftover fast food burgers/other sandwiches (it's best to eat them when they're "fresh")
- fried chicken (turns to rubber)
- metal
_________________
Billie Jean is not my lover. Hee.
Prezbucky

Location: Nashville, TN (USA)

What kind of food can be prepared in a microwave? #8 (permalink) Wed Feb 28, 2007 21:36 pm   What kind of food can be prepared in a microwave?

NinaZara,
Thanks for a good link! That seems interesting

prezbucky,
it's a pity that microwave is bad for metal: I like boiled spoons, fried knifes and baked forks so much... :roll:
_________________
my game is fair play
Aereal

Location: England (the new one)

What kind of food can be prepared in a microwave? #9 (permalink) Wed Feb 28, 2007 22:23 pm   What kind of food can be prepared in a microwave?

aereal

Lots of food comes in metal containers... you have to put such items in microwave-safe dishes.
_________________
Billie Jean is not my lover. Hee.
Prezbucky

Location: Nashville, TN (USA)

What kind of food can be prepared in a microwave? #10 (permalink) Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:48 am   What kind of food can be prepared in a microwave?

prezbucky wrote:

ah, you meant canned stuff, excusar me por favor!
_________________
my game is fair play
Aereal

Location: England (the new one)

What kind of food can be prepared in a microwave? #11 (permalink) Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:50 am   What kind of food can be prepared in a microwave?

At Easter time, the best thing to cook in the microwave is Marshmallow Peeps. They're colorful little baby chicks (and sometimes bunnies) made of marshmallow, and they only come out at Easter. Of course, they're not meant to be cooked, but microwaving them is great fun. They inflate to many times their original size -- looking absolutely hilarious, like a big monster from a Japanese cartoon -- and then they deflate with a big splat! After they've deflated, if you haven't burnt them (which happens after about two minutes, I believe), they taste like an ordinary marshmallow toasted over a campfire.

This process is extra funny if your microwave oven has a rotating turntable in it that allows you to see all sides of the marshmallow "monster" as it bloats up. I suppose this will also work on the candy called "circus peanuts", but it wouldn't be as funny.

When you do this, make sure there are children around, because they go into hysterics and just love it. However, a child about 2 1/2 or 3 years old might find the whole thing scary.

What kind of food can be prepared in a microwave? #12 (permalink) Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:47 am   What kind of food can be prepared in a microwave?

Jamie (K) wrote:

Excellent :) thanks!
_________________
my game is fair play
Aereal

Location: England (the new one)

What kind of food can be prepared in a microwave? #13 (permalink) Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:38 am   What kind of food can be prepared in a microwave?

Jamie (K) wrote:
At Easter time, the best thing to cook in the microwave is Marshmallow Peeps.

Jamie,

Would you mind telling me what 'Peeps' are? And does it work with common marshmallows? I always have so many kids around me, I want to try this with them. :D

Nina
NinaZara

Location: Malaysia (Cat city)

Uploaded Learn English videos to YouTubeWho can protect our site from bots, spiders and downloaders?What do you think of criticism?What do you find funny that other people don't?What's the funniest English expressionRenting an apartment or buying your own house?Thought crossed my mindGoogle translateRant forumsArchivesAn "inconvenient truth" about Al GoreOld habits die hardWhere I can find handouts for TIE (Test for interactive English)