to make equal
plug
balance
match
defect

Is this correct: "They have got divorced?"

usage of "obtain" | Negative of the phrase: "He needs some money"
Is this correct: "They have got divorced?" #1 (permalink) Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:16 am   Is this correct: "They have got divorced?"

is this correct....they have got divorced?

Alex Maloy
Alex Maloy

Is this correct: "They have got divorced?" #2 (permalink) Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:37 am   Is this correct: "They have got divorced?"

.
If it is a question, it should read: 'Have they gotten divorced?'
.
_________________

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Is this correct: "They have got divorced?" #3 (permalink) Mon Feb 26, 2007 15:41 pm   Is this correct: "They have got divorced?"

Additionally, you can:

- divorce (someone)
    - get divorced (from someone)
    - get a divorce.

Is this correct: "They have got divorced?" #4 (permalink) Mon Feb 26, 2007 20:32 pm   Is this correct: "They have got divorced?"

You could also just ask: "Have they got divorced?", of course.

Englishuser
Englishuser

get/got/gotten #5 (permalink) Mon Feb 26, 2007 21:58 pm   get/got/gotten

Englishuser wrote:
But, of course not in the US. :P
_________________

Is this correct: "They have got divorced?" #6 (permalink) Wed Feb 28, 2007 0:21 am   Is this correct: "They have got divorced?"

I don't know if one can own/obtain "divorced", Englishuser. hehe

Have they got flowers?

Have they got pizza?

Have they got Coke?

Have they got...? = Do they have...?

Mr. Micawber was right, I think, and Amy backed him up. I'm adding to the pile-up.

:lol:
_________________
Billie Jean is not my lover. Hee.
Prezbucky

Location: Nashville, TN (USA)

Is this correct: "They have got divorced?" #7 (permalink) Wed Feb 28, 2007 0:43 am   Is this correct: "They have got divorced?"

Yes, I think we've all got it now.

_________________

HELP! #8 (permalink) Wed Nov 05, 2008 15:31 pm   HELP!

:cry:

i'm confused about WERE DIVORCED and GOT DIVORCED in these sentences:

1) his parents WERE DIVORCED when he was 2 years old.
2) his parents GOT DIVORCED when he was 2 years old.

is the first sentence grammatically correct?
when is it appropriate to use "WERE DIVORCED"?

i would greatly appreciate any help/clarification you could give regarding this matter.
B

HELP! #9 (permalink) Wed Nov 05, 2008 16:07 pm   HELP!

Both sentences are grammatically correct, only 'got divorced' is a bit informal.

HELP! #10 (permalink) Wed Nov 05, 2008 16:53 pm   HELP!

.
The two sentences don't necessarily mean the same thing. Sentence 1 is ambiguous. Sentence 1 could mean the same thing as sentence 2. Without any other context, this is the most likely interpretation.

However, in sentence 1 it is also possible that the word "divorced" might have been used as an adjective to describe his parents' marital status when he was two years old (in other words, perhaps the divorce happened when he was 6 months old, for example).
.
_________________

Is this correct: "They have got divorced?" #11 (permalink) Wed Nov 05, 2008 19:16 pm   Is this correct: "They have got divorced?"

Also, simply "His parents divorced when he was 2 years old" is the same as the one with "got divorced."
Barb_D

Is this correct: "They have got divorced?" #12 (permalink) Wed Nov 05, 2008 19:33 pm   Is this correct: "They have got divorced?"

thank you very much for your prompt replies, conchita, yankee and barb.

yes, barb, i am aware of that. in fact, i prefer "His parents divorced when he was 2 years old" as it's much simpler and clearer than the sentences with "were divorced" and "got divorced". the confusion was in "were" and "got". the sentence with "were divorced" just somehow didn't sound right. i knew there was something that had to do with time or period but couldn't quite place it. thanks to yankee these "in sentence 1 it is also possible that the word "divorced" might have been used as an adjective to describe his parents' marital status when he was two years old (in other words, perhaps the divorce happened when he was 6 months old, for example)" are precisely the words i needed to solidify the swimming thoughts in my head. haha.

thanks everyone! you've all been a big help.
B

"a quid pro quo arrangement"hadn't got or didn't have?'at your convenience' vs 'to your convenience'Relation vs relatonshipImplementation or Application?the position of "by someone" in the passiveperson's name plus profession - use of commas, articles'You didn't leave anything on the playing field'?Expression 'the very best'?Expression '... he said to a long roar'?I have seen your father before I come hereIn my language there's a word which is a kind of register for dogsThis letter is/will be considered as my Authentication letter - which one correct