Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to carry; to encourage; to assist financially; to substantiate
support
fold
agree
supervise
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Basic vs. fundamental

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Can I say: "I've been so busy" here? | Difference between listen to and hear
listening exercisestell a friend
Basic vs. fundamental #1 (permalink) Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:43 am   Basic vs. fundamental

Test No. incompl/inter-12 "At the Restaurant", question 1

The food here is quite good although the menu is quite ..........

(a) elementary
(b) basic
(c) easy
(d) fundamental

Test No. incompl/inter-12 "At the Restaurant", answer 1

The food here is quite good although the menu is quite basic.

Correct answer: (b) basic

Your answer was: incorrect
The food here is quite good although the menu is quite fundamental.

what is basic?

Isabelle
Isabelle

Basic vs. fundamental #2 (permalink) Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:46 pm   Basic vs. fundamental

The restaurant does good food but the choice is very limited.

TOEIC short conversations: A man books a restaurant table on the phone
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Basic vs. fundamental #3 (permalink) Wed Mar 22, 2006 15:06 pm   Basic vs. fundamental

Torsten wrote:
The restaurant does good food but the choice is very limited.

Would you please tell me the difference between the "basic"
and "elementary"

thank U in advanced
wanglaoshan

Basic vs. elementary #4 (permalink) Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:28 am   Basic vs. elementary

Hi there...

i would like also ask what?s the main difference between "basic" and "elementary". Is really "elementary" not suitable in this case?

thanks a lot for explanation ...

jan
Janzar

Basic vs. fundamental #5 (permalink) Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:04 am   Basic vs. fundamental

In many situations, 'basic' and 'elementary' can be used synonymously, but in the example above only 'basic' would commonly be used by native English speakers. The meaning, when specifically relating to the choices on the menu, is that the available food is well-known, common, home-style cooking as opposed to being comprised exotic, uncommon, or unusual dishes. It doesn't neccessarily mean that the skill or complexity of the dishes is less than you might find in other restaurants, but this would neccessarily be implied if one described the menu as 'elementary.'
Pond969
You can meet me at english-test.net

Basic vs. fundamental #6 (permalink) Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:42 am   Basic vs. fundamental

Many thanks for explanation.

best regards,

Jan
Janzar

Basic vs. fundamental #7 (permalink) Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:36 am   Basic vs. fundamental

Hi Jan, your sentence would sound better if you put a word before 'explanation':

Many thanks for your explanation.
Many thanks for the explanation.
Many thanks for this explanation.

Let me know what you think,
Torsten

TOEIC listening, photographs: A man smiling
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

Basic vs. fundamental #8 (permalink) Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:39 am   Basic vs. fundamental

I looked up in Collins Cobuild Advanced Learner's English Dictionary:
"You can use basic to describe something that is very simple in style and has only the most necessary features, without any luxuries. "
Can this explain this test?
Clara
Clara
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Basic vs. fundamental #9 (permalink) Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:47 am   Basic vs. fundamental

Hi Clara,

'The menu is quite basic' means that the restaurant doesn't offer many different meals. For example, they might offer just 3 different meals such as Fried Chicken, Farmer Steak and Fish Soup. So you can choose only one out of those three meals. On other words: The menu is quite basic.

Let me know what you think.
Many thanks,
Torsten

TOEIC listening, question-response: Do you know when Ms. Peabody will return?
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

Basic vs. fundamental #10 (permalink) Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:24 am   Basic vs. fundamental

oh, hehe I basically understand now
Do help a lot
Thanks
Clara
Clara

Basic vs. fundamental #11 (permalink) Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:30 am   Basic vs. fundamental

Hi Clara,

Just to add to what Torsten has already written, there is a suggestion in 'quite basic' that something isn't all that good. You could also use this description for a room in a hotel. If you say basic accommodation, it means that the necessities of a bedroom are there but they are all of a simple nature and not very expensive. The addition of 'quite' indicates that it is of a low standard as well as being simple and ordinary.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Basic vs. fundamental #12 (permalink) Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:02 am   Basic vs. fundamental

thanks for all, i see right now.
my english language very poor so, i hope you can help me in this forum

my best regards

irwan
Irwan

Basic vs. fundamental #13 (permalink) Fri Jul 24, 2009 23:17 pm   Basic vs. fundamental

thanks a lot your explanation is great,
Alma

Basic vs. fundamental #14 (permalink) Sat Jun 18, 2011 15:04 pm   Basic vs. fundamental

Thank for Explanation,

Note:- I'm new user of this site. I'm yyyyyyyyyyyy. I'm from Islamabad/Rawalpindi, Pakistan. I want to improve my English just as Native American/ British. I think this site may helpful for improving my English.

Many Thanks ....

Take Care

Regards,
yyyyyyyyyyyy.
Muhammad201

Can I say: "I've been so busy" here? | Difference between listen to and hear
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Meaning of this phrasewhats the diffrence in the use of articles??can you help me?please,can you look this paragraphand correct itsign in and log inlying down on his bedreckon vs. realizethrough with vs. finished withdifference between awake and wakeCompound subjectsMeaning of "bear up"Difference between believe and discoverMeaning of 'ready for action'