Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

chosen for office but net yet formally installed
regular
elect
key
bonded
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Judged vs. esteemed

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
He had been itching to see that band in concert for years. | a jack of all trades
listening exercisestell a friend
Judged vs. esteemed #1 (permalink) Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:47 am   Judged vs. esteemed

Test No. incompl/inter-12 "At the Restaurant", question 10

The restaurant was listed in the guide as it had been ......... to be of the appropriate standard.

(a) valued
(b) esteemed
(c) respected
(d) judged

Test No. incompl/inter-12 "At the Restaurant", answer 10

The restaurant was listed in the guide as it had been judged to be of the appropriate standard.

Correct answer: (d) judged

Your answer was: incorrect
The restaurant was listed in the guide as it had been esteemed to be of the appropriate standard.

why judged and not esteemed?
Isabelle

Judged vs. esteemed #2 (permalink) Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:50 pm   Judged vs. esteemed

To esteem means to admire or to honour, it conveys the opinion of the person who evaluates somebody or something.

To judge is neutral. It means to assess, to establish the value of something. That's why to judge is the right choice in the given context because the standard of the restaurant was determined in an objective, unbiased way.

TOEIC short conversations: Storing boxes at an office
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Judged vs. esteemed #3 (permalink) Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:55 am   Judged vs. esteemed

Hi Torsten,

I agree with you that 'judged' is the right answer, but why it's not 'valued'.

Thaks in advance.

Regards,

Wahid
Wahid3anj

Judged vs. esteemed #4 (permalink) Thu Jul 09, 2009 17:03 pm   Judged vs. esteemed

And what about 'respect'. I am not clear about its mean.
Orchid1205
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Judged vs. esteemed #5 (permalink) Sun Jul 19, 2009 22:35 pm   Judged vs. esteemed

Hi dear Torsten
would you please tell me the whole meaning of this sentence?I don't know why I can't get the meaning clearly :?:
thanx in advance :)
Goodmahsa

Re: Judged vs. esteemed #6 (permalink) Mon Feb 18, 2013 16:05 pm   Re: Judged vs. esteemed

Wahid3anj wrote:
Hi Torsten,

I agree with you that 'judged' is the right answer, but why it's not 'valued'.

Thaks in advance.

Regards,

Wahid
Niloufar1

He had been itching to see that band in concert for years. | a jack of all trades
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
it was a jungle out there vs. it was mayhemshe should start jockeying for positionYou are like a little kid with jam all over his face.that are featured for no other apparent reasonOrign of 'In every life, some rain must fall'?What does the phrase "Saul is also among the prophets" mean?jump through hoopsMeaning of "jump on the bandwagon"Come with me? What does that mean?what does sole mean?easy for you to say?Why do we use you instead of me?Why it is not "going" instead of "to go"