Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

messenger; company that delivers messages, documents, parcels, etc.
path
courier
pleasure
daily
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

What does this expression mean: 'to make a pitch'?

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
to feather one's own nest? | just got done pimping out his ride
listening exercisestell a friend
What does this expression mean: 'to make a pitch'? #1 (permalink) Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:31 am   What does this expression mean: 'to make a pitch'?

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #149 "financial and bank expressions", question 4

My boss informed me that I had been nominated to ......... a sales pitch to one of our company's largest buyers.

(a) make
(b) perform
(c) talk
(d) do

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #149 "financial and bank expressions", answer 4

My boss informed me that I had been nominated to make a sales pitch to one of our company's largest buyers.

Correct answer: (a) make

Your answer was: incorrect
My boss informed me that I had been nominated to perform a sales pitch to one of our company's largest buyers.

What does this expression mean: 'to make a pitch'?

ivys
ivys

What does this expression mean: 'to make a pitch'? #2 (permalink) Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:05 am   What does this expression mean: 'to make a pitch'?

'Make a pitch' is the common collocation.

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
What does this expression mean: 'to make a pitch'? #3 (permalink) Thu Sep 30, 2010 14:31 pm   What does this expression mean: 'to make a pitch'?

What is the meaning of this sentence then?

Thanks.

What does this expression mean: 'to make a pitch'? #4 (permalink) Thu Sep 30, 2010 14:39 pm   What does this expression mean: 'to make a pitch'?

Which words do you not understand?

What does this expression mean: 'to make a pitch'? #5 (permalink) Thu Sep 30, 2010 15:12 pm   What does this expression mean: 'to make a pitch'?

Sorry, I got it.

What does this expression mean: 'to make a pitch'? #6 (permalink) Wed Oct 20, 2010 16:01 pm   What does this expression mean: 'to make a pitch'?

Hi,

If you allow me; I didn't follow the meaning of ''making sales pitch'' as a commercial purpose can be used in business sector.

Can you explain further?
Puppet
I'm here quite often ;-)

What does this expression mean: 'to make a pitch'? #7 (permalink) Wed Oct 20, 2010 16:24 pm   What does this expression mean: 'to make a pitch'?

To make a sales pitch (please note the indefinite article) is to promote your merchandise (or service) by means of a presentation or argument.
I'm a Communicator ;-)

What does this expression mean: 'to make a pitch'? #8 (permalink) Wed Oct 20, 2010 18:39 pm   What does this expression mean: 'to make a pitch'?

Than kyou so much.

Sounds like marketing a kind of product.
Puppet
I'm here quite often ;-)

to feather one's own nest? | just got done pimping out his ride
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Test incompl/elem-269, Question 1Test incompl/elem-235, Question 1Test incompl/elem-202, Question 1I really love our house. I'm so glad we bought it.difference between little and a fewwhich tense should be used when referring to two past actionsDoes four-square mean completely?I have been a four-eyes?Who is Lord Mansfield?Does it mean that he thinks if he were seen to drink with some of his employees?What is the meaning of obliteration?Scream versus Cry'jump for' versus 'jump in' or 'jump on'