hope; anticipation; assumption
drop
disease
expectancy
apparatus

Examples of the positions of appositive nouns

Expression: 'Three months bills are due on me.' | Paragraph: 'She was 13 and going to shopping with her parents. The road...'
Examples of the positions of appositive nouns #1 (permalink) Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:19 am   Examples of the positions of appositive nouns

Hi teachers,

Could you please give some examples of the positions of appositive nouns?
How many forms of appositives used in English are there? Because sometimes I see there is one comma or two commas accompanying the appositives.

_________________
If you want to change the world, be one of the change.
Rosalisa

Location: Cambodia

Examples of the positions of appositive nouns #2 (permalink) Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:28 am   Examples of the positions of appositive nouns

Hi Rosalisa

Appositives can also be phrases (i.e. more than one word). They can be restrictive or non-restrictive. Most of the time appositives are placed directly after the noun they define or name.

Non-restrictive appositives are set off by commas. Basically, there is one comma only when the appositive is the very first or the very last thing in a sentence. Otherwise there will be a comma both before and after the appositive. Here are some patterns for non-restrictive appositives and commas:

Subject - comma - appositive - comma - verb/predicate.

Appositive - comma - subject - verb/predicate.

Subject - verb - object - comma - appositive.

You might also see appositives set off by dashes sometimes.

Have a look at this link:
appositives

_________________

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Examples of the positions of appositive nouns #3 (permalink) Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:36 am   Examples of the positions of appositive nouns

Hi Amy,

That's nice I'm a bit more clear about positions of the appositives. But I have anther question. Please see the examples below.

1. The news that John is going to visit Cambodia is not welcomed.
(Is "that clause" here an appositive? I'm wondering if this sentence is properly structured or correct.)

2.The news that John bought for me wasn't really interesting. ("That clause" here is an adjective clause.)

What do you think?
Thanks a million. :D
_________________
Rosalisa

Location: Cambodia

Examples of the positions of appositive nouns #4 (permalink) Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:05 am   Examples of the positions of appositive nouns

Hi dear Rosalisa,

1. The news that John is going to visit Cambodia is not welcome(it's an attributive appositive clause)
2.The news that John brought to me wasn't really interesting (it's an attributive relative clause)

Let's wait for Amy's comments :wink:
Pamela

Location: RF

Examples of the positions of appositive nouns #5 (permalink) Thu Mar 22, 2007 13:07 pm   Examples of the positions of appositive nouns

Hi Rosalisa

I wasn't referring to clauses, though people do also refer to adjective clauses as appositives sometimes.

In your first sentence, I would prefer the word 'welcome' to 'welcomed'.

I agree with Pamela that the second sentence is not appositive.
_________________

Examples of the positions of appositive nouns #6 (permalink) Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:11 am   Examples of the positions of appositive nouns

Hi Amy and Pamela,

Thank you both very much for your help.

Anyway, "1. The news that John is going to visit Cambodia is not welcome"...Is it a correct sentence? Is it acceptable? :D
_________________
Rosalisa

Location: Cambodia

What does this sentence mean: As fares fell one of the casualties or victims...?How do you pronounce "Wi-Fi"?Has "No can do" the same origin like "Long time no speak"?What is the name of the disease which makes your hair fall?English articles: 'The' or 'an'?Usage of 'would be' in english sentencesusage of "wish" verb'I have to take special care of me' vs 'I have to take special care of mine'past perfect or past simple?academician or academic?Difference between '...go East' and '...go the East'..."Below" as an adjective. 'Thank you for your below emails.'usage weed v.s. weeds