Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

exact; not more and not less; meticulous; strict
unnecessary
prepaid
savvy
precise
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

What's the meaning of "RIP"?

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
The train runs by the second. | Colloquial expression for "make eyes at someone"
listening exercisestell a friend
What's the meaning of "RIP"? #1 (permalink) Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:52 pm   What's the meaning of "RIP"?

Hi

What's the meaning of "RIP"?

I know that it's a kind of a short form for a sentence, and it contents by three words.

By the way . Is there any rule of this short sentence form ?
Thanks .

Herc
Hercules
I'm here quite often ;-)

What's the meaning of "RIP"? #2 (permalink) Sat Mar 24, 2007 13:07 pm   What's the meaning of "RIP"?

Hi Herc

R.I.P. means 'Rest in peace.'

No, there is no general rule for this. Some expressions simply become commonly represented as abbreviations. Another example is RSVP -- which is actually an abbreviation of a French sentence. You may have also seen IOU which means 'I owe you'. Sometimes abbreviations turn into nouns: SNAFU --> a snafu.

Amy

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
What's the meaning of "RIP"? #3 (permalink) Sat Mar 24, 2007 14:13 pm   What's the meaning of "RIP"?

What about BOGOF?

What do you reckon that means?

A
Co-founder
Alan Townend

What's the meaning of "RIP"? #4 (permalink) Sat Mar 24, 2007 17:06 pm   What's the meaning of "RIP"?

Thanks Amy ... You are my " great " teacher :)
--------------------------------------------
Alan

What's that "BOGOF" ?

Hope that you will explain it :)

Thanks
Hercules
I'm here quite often ;-)

What's the meaning of "RIP"? #5 (permalink) Sat Mar 24, 2007 17:27 pm   What's the meaning of "RIP"?

There is also BYOB and TGIF... :D

What's the meaning of "RIP"? #6 (permalink) Sat Mar 24, 2007 18:06 pm   What's the meaning of "RIP"?

lol

Amy, let's put those two on tombstones:

"It's off to heaven for old Marge, you see...
Where all the parties are BYOB."

"Harold was a celebrated chef
Who worked Monday through Thursday.
His shift is finished for good today
And TGIF."
---

Alan, I'll take a shot at BOGOF:

Better Off Gone, Old Fart

? (truly no clue, but had fun trying)

"Well you tried to trick us with your devious heart,
So you're better off gone, you old fart."

-----
Slang terms for dying:

- Kicked the bucket

- Bought the farm

Slang term for a dead person:

- Worm food

hehe

What's the meaning of "RIP"? #7 (permalink) Sat Mar 24, 2007 20:18 pm   What's the meaning of "RIP"?

BOGOF = Buy one, get one free.

A
Co-founder
Alan Townend

What's the meaning of "RIP"? #8 (permalink) Sat Mar 24, 2007 20:50 pm   What's the meaning of "RIP"?

crap

so close, and yet so far. hehe

What's the meaning of "RIP"? #9 (permalink) Sun Mar 25, 2007 0:38 am   What's the meaning of "RIP"?

Yankee wrote:
R.I.P. means 'Rest in peace.'

Only in English speaking countries. In other parts of the world, R.I.P. is the abbreviation for 'Requiescat in Pace', which is Latin for 'Rest in Peace'. Convenient coincidence, isn't it?
Conchita
Language Coach

What's the meaning of "RIP"? #10 (permalink) Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:04 am   What's the meaning of "RIP"?

Conchita wrote:
Convenient coincidence, isn't it?
Very handy. :wink:

What's the meaning of "RIP"? #11 (permalink) Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:20 am   What's the meaning of "RIP"?

The first time I read 'cul' for 'see you later' I was almost shocked, as this is vulgar slang for 'bottom' in French.
Conchita
Language Coach

What's the meaning of "RIP"? #12 (permalink) Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:57 am   What's the meaning of "RIP"?

Hi everyone,

I am wondering if people use the term 'R.I.P' when they hear someone else dead unfortunately. I saw some net friends use it on bbs which is a very popular forum in Taiwan at least. The situation is that a net friend posted an article to illustate that his/her friend's girl friend dead for a kind of disease in a few days, suddenly. Many net friends replied "R.I.P.". Is it sutiable to use this term in this situation? Or native speakers use it as well? Also, would you mind telling me that what native speakers generally say in this situation?

Thanks in advance.

Have a nice Monday.

Maggie^^
I'm here quite often ;-)

What's the meaning of "RIP"? #13 (permalink) Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:19 am   What's the meaning of "RIP"?

Alan wrote:
What about BOGOF?

What do you reckon that means?

A

I think it means "to bug off" :)
Lost_Soul
I'm a Communicator ;-)

What's the meaning of "RIP"? #14 (permalink) Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:45 pm   What's the meaning of "RIP"?

I liked TGIF most of all, and expect some more expressions from natives. :)

What's the meaning of "RIP"? #15 (permalink) Mon Jun 30, 2008 13:18 pm   What's the meaning of "RIP"?

Quote:
BYGOF

In my neck of the woods, 'buy on, get one free' is usually shortened to BOGO.

The train runs by the second. | Colloquial expression for "make eyes at someone"
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
"might as well as" vs "might as well ... as""no little surprise" would mean no surprise or great surprise?meaning of a phrase "he has to have it up me open..."Do you honour this health insurance?This concludes my talk.The real difference between error and mistakeopinion to be givenSentences with "she asked me..."Adjective: 'I am very pragmatic person' vs 'I am very pragmatic'the usage of 'could' in these lyricsAnother doubt: when to use 'I've got' and 'I got'?When to use 'in' and 'on'?Rewrite sentence: Simon had not expected that he would feel so weak after the...