degree of difference; promotion of a student to a higher grade
remove
royalties
surface
engineer

What is the difference between "debate" and "discussion"?

What is the difference between "permitted" and "granted"? | meaning of lone
What is the difference between "debate" and "discussion"? #1 (permalink) Sun Apr 01, 2007 14:42 pm   What is the difference between "debate" and "discussion"?

ESL/EFL Test #79 "GMAT Vocabulary", question 7

The ......... over the rights and wrongs of this issue has been a never- ending discussion inside parliament.

(a) chatter
(b) debate
(c) gossip
(d) rumour

ESL/EFL Test #79 "GMAT Vocabulary", answer 7

The debate over the rights and wrongs of this issue has been a never- ending discussion inside parliament.

Correct answer: (b) debate
_________________________

I think debat is the best answer because it involves agreeing and not agreeing on a specific point- the thing which is mentioned in the question "a never-ending discussion".

ursus
ursus

What is the difference between "debate" and "discussion"? #2 (permalink) Sun Apr 01, 2007 14:44 pm   What is the difference between "debate" and "discussion"?

.
Yes, debate is the correct answer.
.
_________________

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
what does "hairy" mean?Idiom: To bend over backwardsMeaning of "I've been in a lot of pain the last few months"card vs. ticketWhat about the process naturalization?meaning of veilmeaning of weedWhat is the difference between "remember" and "remind"?meaning of "lying thief"'stick by him' vs 'stick from him'make an effort vs. make a startoriginal meaning of the idiom "as thick as thieves"dinner on Christmas vs. dinner in Christmas