Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

easy; relaxing; cosy; financially well to do
inanimate
hard
upcoming
comfortable
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
What does "No man is an island" imply? | Is it correct to use "some" in negative and interrogative sentences?
listening exercisestell a friend
An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind #1 (permalink) Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:47 am   An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Hi teachers,

Could you please explain the quote above to me?

Many thanks in advance

Jupiter
Jupiter
I'm here quite often ;-)

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind #2 (permalink) Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:12 am   An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

This quote, attributed to Gandhi, refers to (and criticises) an Old Testament law: 'An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth', which meant that one could take revenge or repay evil for evil.

The law was revoked by Christ. In fact, Jesus gave us a new commandment: 'Love one another as I have loved you'.
Conchita
Language Coach

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
What does "No man is an island" imply? | Is it correct to use "some" in negative and interrogative sentences?
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
English prepositionsUse vs UsageLearn vs StudyWhat kind of sentence is it?Light three on a matchExpression: fly-specked windowsArticle with exam: 'at, in and on'Is there any difference btw on Monday/Mondaysdifference between "end" and "ending"idiom "the main chance"Experience vs ExperiencesExpression: a bower of rosesSay or said (It is confusing whether it is past or present any suggestions?)